Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after some good mudding on my property (entire vehicle covered 5 days in a row) I started having issues. (Pads, ujoint, etc already taken care of).

The fan got clogged and stopped working, got it spinning again but now it's vibrating and I don't think it's working to its full potential.

I'm trying to chase this issue down 1 step at a time, changed out my thermostat, coolant temp sensor, flushed radiator and put new coolant in. Water pump is working. I do have a winch up front.

Jeep is staying cool on the road and in town the most part. If I spend one minute in the local wash or drop into 4lo the temp starts to spike. It wasn't cooling off on its own at first, now it's recuperating on its own within a minute or two.

So I'm lost, I've never had to deal with overheating issues before, the only thing I can think of is the fan needing to be replaced, but could that be playing such a major role? It's kicking on and vibrating pretty hard, felt throughout the interior.

My thought it that without the fan working to full potential the coolant never has time to actually cool and just gets cycled back into the warm motor, then the process repeats until I hear it boiling in the reservoir again.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the fan is not working properly you will overheat when the vehicle is stopped. Once you start moving again the air flowing through the radiator will cool it down enough to prevent you from overheating. I would replace the fan, it is a very crucial part of the cooling system and if it's not working properly, as you described, it will cause you to overheat. But with out more information or the ability to look at the vehicle it's hard to be sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
The first thing you always mess with when you have a problem, is the part that you know has a problem. Replace/clean the fan!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
How high is too high? What kind of temps are you seeing? My 2014 will run anywhere from 205 to 226, which is where the fan kicks in. The temps do go up when I'm in 4HI, faster than when in 2WD, but still gets to about 226, then cools back down.

It sounds like you have some mud packed in the radiator. Try power washing CAREFULLY (don't bend over any of the cooling fins). When I come home after getting muddy, I use a garden spray nozzle on the garden hose, and lock it in the on position. I let it sit there, just spraying into the radiator and let it rinse all the mud out.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
ok, missed that. What kind of thermostat are you using to turn the fan on? One of those probes that you push through the radiator fins or a VSC?
He's probably talking about the thermostat. The one that opens when coolant reaches a certain temperature.

JK's dont have an old school fan thermostat like an old chevy pickup would have. There is a coolant temp sensor, and it tells the computer some stuff, which then tells the fan to turn on.

not like the one in this 53 chevy lol

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
He's probably talking about the thermostat. The one that opens when coolant reaches a certain temperature. JK's dont have an old school fan thermostat like an old chevy pickup would have. There is a coolant temp sensor, and it tells the computer some stuff, which then tells the fan to turn on. not like the one in this 53 chevy lol http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Trey_McHattie/media/2016-01-02 15.23.23_zpsg16xv4k6.jpg.html
yes, but an electric fan has it's own thermostat that turns on at a set temp. They are either a probe style that get stuck between radiator fins (they suck and come loose easily). He may have knocked it loose which would mean the fan wouldn't come on at all or on when it touches a hot radiator fin. The other option is a VSC (variable speed controller) which typically uses a sensor in the top radiator hose. They are much more reliable.

Edit: I have TJ on the brain, thinking he did a conversion. If the fan got plugged with mud my guess is the motor burned out or it got very hot and now is on its way out. If the Fan and shroud are in good shape I would look to see if you can take the motor out and just replace that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts