Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive on the Arizona freeway about 65-70mph with outside temperatures at or above 109 degrees and AC on the coolant temperature slowly shoots up to and above 230 degrees and my superchips TD2 warning light and sound comes on. As soon as I turn off the AC the engine temperature starts to drop immediately.

There are many bent fins on the AC condenser only where the 7 vertical openings are in the Jeep grill. Should I try replacing the AC condenser, buy a larger capacity radiator and faster fan and new thermostat? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU 6spd manual transmission.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would suggest removing the grille and wash the radiators.
Maybe unbolting AC condenser and check for acumulations between the rads.
even with 10%-15% bent fins you should be ok
This is the easiest and free, before replacing anything.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you have a little time to kill, you can comb out the bent fins on the condenser. It's hard to imagine the bent fins are the whole problem, but they might be contributing to it.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I would suggest removing the grille and wash the radiators.
Maybe unbolting AC condenser and check for acumulations between the rads.
even with 10%-15% bent fins you should be ok
This is the easiest and free, before replacing anything.
VERY good suggestion here. Free and easy. Always do the cheapest thing first. :appl:
Last I knew, they sell "fin combs" at Napa or other parts stores to put the fins back to a straight config.

·
Registered
970 Posts
230 is pretty much normal for your jeep. If you are not losing coolant then keep on truckin. and don't worry

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
My 2014 runs in the 220"s normal, and goes into the 230"s on mountain grades.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I would flush your rad anyways. Use hoat coolant in yours. The 3.8 should not be running that high.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Your symptoms indicate a radiator efficiency issue. Depending on how old the radiator is you may need to replace it. I rarely have had success with combing the radiator fins. I disagree that 230 is normal. I recently had my radiator replaced in my 2016 JKU and I'm experiencing max temps of 215 in hot and high humidity weather.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any issues with AC on at lower speeds?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
If all else fails, slow down and use a lower gear to get RPM's up to 2500-2800. The wind resistance load is not helping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts