Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran inside to grab my daughter (not even 3-4 minutes) left the Jeep running with air on as I live in South Georgia and didn't want it to be 1000 degrees when I put her in the back. I got in and noticed the gauge was steady climbing and then shot over to the red. I immediately turned engine off and pulled into nearest parking lot. Luckily I was not far from the daycare so I walked her back over while I looked at the Jeep.

I let it cool off filled it back up with coolant and it is running fine as long as I don't turn on the A/C. The belt recently has started to squeal a little bit in first gear when I take off and the A/C is on. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this issue? I have to have the A/C for when my daughter is in the Jeep. I have a 99 4.0

Thanks!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Could be a myriad of things.
Check your coolant levels.
Get your cooling system flushed.
Take your windows out and buy your kid some shades yo.
natural AC

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
If you have an electric fan it may not be coming on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have an electric fan (at least I am pretty sure. The fan is always running when the jeep is running). I am wondering if it is the water pump since I have had a squeal that comes and goes when I first take off and the air is on.

@amped I am all about putting the windows down with her! The wife keeps complaining about that 5 month old thing lol

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds more like a loose or worn out belt to me, you said you added coolant, taking that you were low? Check to see that your radiator and a/c coil are not clogged with dirt or debris. Check that your fan clutch is working proper. When was the last time you replaced your belt? Might be time for a new one, and make sure it has the proper tension a loose belt can keep your a/c from working proper and make the engine run hot at idle.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
Could be the radiator cap is worn out too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Spray you mud out of your radiator with a hose. I had the same problem, and it was just the radiator and condenser had some mud in them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drained all the coolant out last night and changed the upper and lower hoses (they needed it pretty bad) I rinsed out the radiator with the hose and filled it all back up with coolant. I took it down the road and it seemed to run fine.

When I got back to the house and turned the engine off I noticed coolant was seeping out around the hoses. It almost seems like something could be blocking the overflow container? I am going to get a new cap today too and see if that helps fix anything.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I would check your belt condition since you are experiencing the squeal with a/c on. May be a good idea to have it replaced, especially if it's slipping. Check your water pump seep hole for small leaks and check to see if you have any dampness in the passenger side carpet along with any antifreeze smell to indicate a heater core issue.
Lastly, make sure you 'burp' the radiator to rid of any trapped air bubbles in the cooling system. (run the engine with the cap off to operating temp). 2 things I would go ahead and replace would be the belt and a thermostat(use 195 degrees T-stat). If these steps doesn't fix it, then look into a clogged radiator or bad fan clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts