Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wrangler has over heat twice on me now it spits out the coolant. Then I refill it and runs fine. Both time it over heat was once I traffic and once stopped at a parking lot.

Any help on what it could be

·
Registered
196 Posts
Need more info. Spits out coolant where? Does the fan work? Is there enough coolant in the system? During normal operating temperature is there coolant flowing through the upper radiator hose? It'll be hot so be careful but you should feel the coolant flowing through it when the thermostat opens. If nothing then your thermostat could be clogged or stuck.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Yeah, we need more details. Is your radiator caked with mud?

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Had a car with a bad rad, not leaking, but alot of the cooling fins were gone/clogged and she would boil over through the coolant resevoir. Definitely have a close look at your rad. If clogged try carefully pressure washing it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Need more info. Spits out coolant where? Does the fan work? Is there enough coolant in the system? During normal operating temperature is there coolant flowing through the upper radiator hose? It'll be hot so be careful but you should feel the coolant flowing through it when the thermostat opens. If nothing then your thermostat could be clogged or stuck.
This. Plus, did you overfill the expansion tank? Cold it should be 1-2" over the min. line.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mi car is parked a my cousin place right now. He tel me if the ac is off it runs fine gets up to 3/4 on the temp, on the highway it rides fine, and it hasn't leaked fluid, I'm thinking its thermostat I bought it but haven't placed will probably do it tomorrow

·
Registered
196 Posts
3/4 is high. It should stay around the middle on the gauge. Never going past 200 degrees. Most thermostats open at 180-190. Make sure you have enough coolant and it's purged of air bubbles. The a/c makes your engine work harder that's why you get more heat. Check your fan. Does it engage? Is there coolant leaking from under the water pump? Water pumps have a weep hole when they go bad. Start losing coolant that way.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Mi car is parked a my cousin place right now. He tel me if the ac is off it runs fine gets up to 3/4 on the temp, on the highway it rides fine, and it hasn't leaked fluid, I'm thinking its thermostat I bought it but haven't placed will probably do it tomorrow
Are your radiator fins clogged with mud?

·
Registered
261 Posts
yea.. get you a glove ....if your man enough non insulated and hold the radiator hose and make sure the thermostat opens and closes by feeling the release of pressure on the hose. after that id check to make sure your cooling fan is running like its supposed to. i actually worked on a pt cruiser the other day that was doing kinda of what your describing and it actually had a relay go out under the hood. there is a low and a high on the cooling fan also ..... just my two cents...ive been known to be wrong lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts