Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '17 JKU Rubicon that has 100% stock suspension. It has a Gobi Roof Rack, Smittybilt Atlas Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper and Smittybilt X20 Winch. In all, an easy +400 lbs of exterior weight. Plus the added things on the inside like hard top liners, seat covers, whatever. All small weight additions but it all adds up.

So I measured my heights all around because the thing looks squat and sagged. From ground through center of wheel hub to bottom of fenders in front is 35" and rear is 34 1/2". I'm guessing I'm maybe 2 1/2" sagged from a stock JKU Rubicon of the same year but it's hard to find that info. Also, I measured the amount of free space between the bump stops and the platform. There is only 1 1/2" free space which is somewhat alarming. Obviously I'm not doing much off roading until I get this corrected.

In any case, I'm sure I'm needing heavier rated springs all around to get that stock height back plus I'm considering a 2 1/2" lift.

I'm curious if I specifically buy a lift kit that says "Heavy" or "Overland" will I end up going up the 2 1/2" I've lost AND another 2 1/2", which is what I want obviously, otherwise I assume I could just buy heavier rated springs and skip the lift.

The lifts I'm looking at are:

Old Man EMU 2" - 2.25" Heavy Load Suspension Lift Kit w/ Nitrocharger Sport Shocks

Metalcloak JK Wrangler Overland Touring LIft Kit, 2.5" (no shocks)

I know I'll need to get an exhaust spacer and may need to buy different control arms (not sure what) since they don't come with the OLD Man EMU kit. Just curious if my thought process is correct on being able to get back that sag and get the additional lift with the kit also.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
You may want to read this thread to see how much you have sagged
That should give you an accurate account of where you are at.
You can't compare center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender between front and back, that distance is less in the rear than front when level because the front fenders sit higher as I recall.
The easy answer is to add spacers to get back what you lost due to sagging from the weight. But if you want to try firmer springs without lifting (or minimal lifting) you could try a set of 2.5" JK springs on your JKU. That should lift you less than a set of JKU springs. But you still may have issues to deal with depending on how much lift you end up with. But if it is within an inch of factory height you might get away with it.
If you go with a lift, The MetalCloak 2.5" lift is a decent option. You can talk to MC, but I seem to recall they would sell their JK 2.5" lift as a 1.5" lift for a JKU. And their springs tend to handle extra weight well. If you are looking at OME you might want to contact a guy who knows their stuff (Dan I believe), I think @Pressurized knows him.
If you go with OME springs you can add the same geometry brackets as in the MC lift, or you can add ones from Rancho or others. I have the MC geometry brackets, nice, but a pain to assemble / install. Other brackets like Rancho are one piece, and thus easier to install. But I do like the finish on the MC brackets.

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
@Jakob101st

Like GM mentions above, MC is a good choice. Their springs are known for being able to carry the extra weight.

For more info on OME, call Dirk at DPG Offroad (316) 776-9900. He does more OME than anyone in the country and has access to all of their springs. OME is a different builder than someone like Matson at Metalcloak. OME has many different springs for the front and rear of our Jeeps. Because they know that no 2 Jeeps are alike. Dirk can customize a kit for you with different length/rate springs to get your desired outcome. He can also pair the OME with products from JKS for a very custom and complete lift kit. It will be a very informative call, I promise...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GuzziMoto,

Thank you for the quick reply. I used your link and their bump-stop measurement to compare to mine. I'm right at 3" so I'm a bit saggy in the rear a bit more than 2". You can imagine what happens after I load up for camping. I really don't want to go with spacers as much as having springs that are rated for the proper weight. I'm not sure about the JK spring suggestion. I may have not been clear. I want to lift the jeep to be 2.5" higher than stock. Right now I'm at least 2" lower than stock from weight. So a normal lift would only lift me 2.5" but I'd still sag. My question is if I buy a HEAVY or OVERLAND 2.5" lift if I'll get 2.5" lift plus get my other 2" back from having heavier springs. Old Man EMU actually has three different 2.5" heavy setups, one being for JKU's that have added 600+ lbs which is me. Basically all the kits are the same components except they place much heavier rated springs on the rear. I'm in the process of tracking down the exact kit specs from a retailer in the states. So far I can only find what I'm looking for on ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension.

I use their selector for a Jeep/Wrangler/Unlimited/w/ Bar & Winch and it gives me three kit numbers. EK5008A1, A2 and A3 with A3 being for 300kg plus. These are 2" kits which is fine. They give numbers for all the components but all the online/state side retailers do not include specifics in terms of which spring / shocks are coming with the kit.

The coil spring are my main concern in order to get the right rating. Front are 2628 and rear are 2620. I'm thinking of reaching out to the Australia store to see if they can recommend someone state side with the right knowledge to get me the specific parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Jakob101st

Like GM mentions above, MC is a good choice. Their springs are known for being able to carry the extra weight.

For more info on OME, call Dirk at DPG Offroad (316) 776-9900. He does more OME than anyone in the country and has access to all of their springs. OME is a different builder than someone like Matson at Metalcloak. OME has many different springs for the front and rear of our Jeeps. Because they know that no 2 Jeeps are alike. Dirk can customize a kit for you with different length/rate springs to get your desired outcome. He can also pair the OME with products from JKS for a very custom and complete lift kit. It will be a very informative call, I promise...
Thank you for the reply and number. I think I will do that. I just went over the OME PDF guide and saw the multi-weight spring lists for my jeep. They do have a lot of different springs for different weights both front and rear. I think I have my springs nailed down finally. I think I'll stick with the OME Nitro Sport shocks. Either way, getting some expert input and advice will be welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
Thank you for the reply and number. I think I will do that. I just went over the OME PDF guide and saw the multi-weight spring lists for my jeep. They do have a lot of different springs for different weights both front and rear. I think I have my springs nailed down finally. I think I'll stick with the OME Nitro Sport shocks. Either way, getting some expert input and advice will be welcomed.
Good luck, Dirk is a pro and will do you right.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck, Dirk is a pro and will do you right.
Ok, haven't spoke to Dirk yet but spent the day going down a rabbit hole from a different angle. I've accepted that finding a "kit" with what I need isn't going to happen, not even just the shocks and springs so I ended up piecing it all together individually. I think I almost have everything listed that I need except on settling on a complete brake line extension set for a 2.5" lift. Below are the items I've put together for the kit I'm wanting to do. The front springs will be great for the bumper/winch/shackles and other accessories. The rear is a very HD spring but I have so much on now, more to come and I pack heavy for camping plus haul a trailer from time to time.

Old Man Emu 2619 2" Lift Front Heavy Load (90-180lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door
Old Man Emu 2620 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Load (660lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door
Old Man Emu 60067 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with 0-2.5" Lift
Old Man Emu 60066 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with 0-2.5" Lift
Old Man Emu 0 OMESD48 Steering Stabilizer with Relocation Bracket for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with LHD
Old Man Emu OMEJKPR10 10mm Rear Trim Spacer for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
Old Man Emu OMEJKPF10 10mm Front Trim Spacer for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
Teraflex 2610000 Exhaust Spacer Kit for 12-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with 3.6L
Old Man Emu UCAJKRR Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arm Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
Old Man Emu UCAJKFR Front Upper Adjustable Control Arm Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
Old Man Emu LCAJKRR Rear Lower Adjustable Control Arm Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
Old Man Emu LCAJKFR Front Lower Adjustable Control Arm Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
The OME arms are somewhat generic. As I recall they source those. I would do a full set of Core4x4 Tier 3 instead of the OME. Dirk will recommend either JKS or Currie control arms.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
You can piece it together or you can get MetalCloak. My Jeep when full loaded and the trailer hooked up is 2000 lbs heavier than stock. Still have 2.5 inches of lift.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
GuzziMoto,

Thank you for the quick reply. I used your link and their bump-stop measurement to compare to mine. I'm right at 3" so I'm a bit saggy in the rear a bit more than 2". You can imagine what happens after I load up for camping. I really don't want to go with spacers as much as having springs that are rated for the proper weight. I'm not sure about the JK spring suggestion. I may have not been clear. I want to lift the jeep to be 2.5" higher than stock. Right now I'm at least 2" lower than stock from weight. So a normal lift would only lift me 2.5" but I'd still sag. My question is if I buy a HEAVY or OVERLAND 2.5" lift if I'll get 2.5" lift plus get my other 2" back from having heavier springs. Old Man EMU actually has three different 2.5" heavy setups, one being for JKU's that have added 600+ lbs which is me. Basically all the kits are the same components except they place much heavier rated springs on the rear. I'm in the process of tracking down the exact kit specs from a retailer in the states. So far I can only find what I'm looking for on ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension.

I use their selector for a Jeep/Wrangler/Unlimited/w/ Bar & Winch and it gives me three kit numbers. EK5008A1, A2 and A3 with A3 being for 300kg plus. These are 2" kits which is fine. They give numbers for all the components but all the online/state side retailers do not include specifics in terms of which spring / shocks are coming with the kit.

The coil spring are my main concern in order to get the right rating. Front are 2628 and rear are 2620. I'm thinking of reaching out to the Australia store to see if they can recommend someone state side with the right knowledge to get me the specific parts.
Most lifts out there will have firmer springs, so a typical 2.5" lift will give you at least 2.5" above stock height. Most people will get 3.5" of lift up front from a typical 2.5" lift because of the firmer springs.
If you want a lift, buy a lift. I thought you mentioned just buying firmer springs and trying to avoid a lift. That is an option. But if you want a 2.5" lift get a 2.5" lift. As mentioned, you will see an increase in height of considerably more than 2.5" from a typical 2.5" lift. Some vendors use springs that are firmer and thus better at carrying the extra weight, like MetalCloak. Other vendors offer different spring rates, like OME. If you are wanting to go with OME I really suggest you contact Dirk as Pressurized suggested.
You don't need the exhaust spacers with those shocks. They aren't long enough extended to allow the drive shaft to contact the crossover. I did like those shocks, though.
You don't need all those control arms, but if you want a full set of control arms I would look at other vendors like Core 4x4, Synergy, or TF Alpine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The OME arms are somewhat generic. As I recall they source those. I would do a full set of Core4x4 Tier 3 instead of the OME. Dirk will recommend either JKS or Currie control arms.
Thank you. I'll look into those this morning.

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts
my understanding with the OME coils is they really don't go up in lift based on the weight they are rated for. I think it might have something to do with the strict DOT (not sure what the ausie equal is) I know they are really limited on how high they can lift etc. My guess is if you get a OME coil with too high of weight rating you won't go higher you will just get a stiffer ride. I could be wrong but that is what i remember when thinking of going that way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my understanding with the OME coils is they really don't go up in lift based on the weight they are rated for. I think it might have something to do with the strict DOT (not sure what the ausie equal is) I know they are really limited on how high they can lift etc. My guess is if you get a OME coil with too high of weight rating you won't go higher you will just get a stiffer ride. I could be wrong but that is what i remember when thinking of going that way.
That is interesting. I did notice that in OME's official AU guides their 4" lift components all have "for off-road use only" on them. My guess is that they have some strict rules about off-road equipped rigs driving around town. None of the 2 - 2.5 lift items have that wording. I agree that the weight rating may not be the same as going up in lift but I'm assuming with correct my -2" sag I have currently. Then since they are 2.5" lift coils I'll have lift from that. I assume that if I bought firmer stock coils I could correct the -2" sag without a lift.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are my current list of components. I'm still looking into extending brake hoses but I'm not sure if I'll need new lines with a 2.5" lift or just relocation brackets. I switched over, for now, to the Core4x4 Control Arms and added Core4x4 front and rear track bars. I have a Rubicon with electronic swaybar disconnect and need to see if I need anything different there after the lift. Just want to say thank you to everyone giving input. This lift thing is new to me even though this is my 3rd Wrangler in 35 years. My first CJ already had a lift and I never got around to lifting my first JK.

Old Man Emu 2619 2" Lift Front Heavy Load (90-180lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door
Old Man Emu 2620 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Load (660lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door
Old Man Emu 60067 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with 0-2.5" Lift
Old Man Emu 60066 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with 0-2.5" Lift
Old Man Emu 0 OMESD48 Steering Stabilizer with Relocation Bracket for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with LHD
Core4x4 Control Arms Complete Set T3 (Yellow) 0-6 inch lift, + hardware
Core4x4 Front Track Bar T3 (Yellow) 0-6 inch lift
Core4x4 Rear Track Bar T3 (Yellow) 0-6 inch lift

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
These are my current list of components. I'm still looking into extending brake hoses but I'm not sure if I'll need new lines with a 2.5" lift or just relocation brackets. I switched over, for now, to the Core4x4 Control Arms and added Core4x4 front and rear track bars. I have a Rubicon with electronic swaybar disconnect and need to see if I need anything different there after the lift. Just want to say thank you to everyone giving input. This lift thing is new to me even though this is my 3rd Wrangler in 35 years. My first CJ already had a lift and I never got around to lifting my first JK.

You need to make sure you have good sway bar angles after the lift. That usually means swapping the rear sway bar links to the front and adding new longer links to the rear. That is usually good enough for a 2.5" lift. But you may want to add front quick disconnects as well, even though you have a push button. Pushing that button allows the two sides of the sway bar to move independently, but they are still connected to the axle and in extreme situations bad things can happen like the sway bar link flipping when it fully extends that corner of the suspension. Part of that depends on your shocks max extended length, and part of that is on what your starting sway bar angle is.

·
Registered
987 Posts

Yes, talk to Dirk. As you are planing to do, I did mine Ala Carte too. Also, take a look at the 60066M shock for the front. It has a longer extension and the body is only a 1/4" longer than a Rubi shock. Your still going to need about an inch of extra bump stop with this setup. @Pressurized showed me how to use a hockey puck for that, saving me some money there. I'd leave out the trim spacers, the track bars, and all but the front lower control arms (and even those are not actually necessary). I did install Synergy LCA's on the front for correction on my jeep because, while the caster was within the window, I wanted it in the center of the window. I eventually added a Core4x4 rear track bar also but that was only because the diff skid plate was arguing with the fuel tank skid when I was in the rocks. On most trails and certainly as a daily driver I didn't need the rear track bar. I have found the OME heights to be accurate and they don't sag over time (at least not for the 1st five years). They are also accurate about the weight needed. On the way back from Lowes the other day my wife remarked "Your jeep rides almost as nice as mine today". Well, 50 paving bricks in the rear will do that because now your over 150 kg. You can see what I'm running on my JKWW in the attached sheets.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, talk to Dirk. As you are planing to do, I did mine Ala Carte too. Also, take a look at the 60066M shock for the front. It has a longer extension and the body is only a 1/4" longer than a Rubi shock. Your still going to need about an inch of extra bump stop with this setup. @Pressurized showed me how to use a hockey puck for that, saving me some money there. I'd leave out the trim spacers, the track bars, and all but the front lower control arms (and even those are not actually necessary). I did install Synergy LCA's on the front for correction on my jeep because, while the caster was within the window, I wanted it in the center of the window. I eventually added a Core4x4 rear track bar also but that was only because the diff skid plate was arguing with the fuel tank skid when I was in the rocks. On most trails and certainly as a daily driver I didn't need the rear track bar. I have found the OME heights to be accurate and they don't sag over time (at least not for the 1st five years). They are also accurate about the weight needed. On the way back from Lowes the other day my wife remarked "Your jeep rides almost as nice as mine today". Well, 50 paving bricks in the rear will do that because now your over 150 kg. You can see what I'm running on my JKWW in the attached sheets.
Ok, making further changes. I can always go back later for the other control arms. I did see the 60066M in the OME guide and went ahead and made that change. I'll need to look into what do do with bump stops.

This is is the list so far. It's looking to hit right at $1,300 for the items listed after ship/taxes.

Old Man Emu 2619 2" Lift Front Heavy Load (90-180lbs) Coil Spring Pair
Old Man Emu 2620 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Load (660lbs) Coil Spring Pair
Old Man Emu 60067 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock
Old Man Emu 60066M (Mid Length) Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock
Old Man Emu 0 OMESD48 Steering Stabilizer with Relocation Bracket
Teraflex 2610000 Exhaust Spacer Kit
Core4x4 Front Lower T3 Control Arms Complete (Yellow) 0-6 inch lift

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Ok, making further changes. I can always go back later for the other control arms. I did see the 60066M in the OME guide and went ahead and made that change. I'll need to look into what do do with bump stops.

This is is the list so far. It's looking to hit right at $1,300 for the items listed after ship/taxes.

Old Man Emu 2619 2" Lift Front Heavy Load (90-180lbs) Coil Spring Pair
Old Man Emu 2620 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Load (660lbs) Coil Spring Pair
Old Man Emu 60067 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock
Old Man Emu 60066M (Mid Length) Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock
Old Man Emu 0 OMESD48 Steering Stabilizer with Relocation Bracket
Teraflex 2610000 Exhaust Spacer Kit
Core4x4 Front Lower T3 Control Arms Complete (Yellow) 0-6 inch lift
You may want, at a minimum, a rear track bar bracket. You can also run HD adjustable track bars, but that isn't as important as the rear track bar bracket. The bracket flattens out the track bar, so it works properly with better geometry. TeraFlex makes a nice axle side rear track bar bracket. Adjustable track bars will allow you to center the axles side to side. Not really critical, unless you want it center (I am anal OCD about that sort of stuff).
And again, you should add longer rear sway bar links at a minimum, and move the rears to the front. You probably won't need the exhaust spacer, as those shocks are so long that contact with the exhaust crossover is likely.
Bump stops are either based on the compressed length of the shock (running a shock with a compressed length that is longer than stock typically requires extra bump stop to keep the shock from bottoming) or based on tire size (a given size tire may need extra bump stop to keep the tires from rubbing or worse).

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but that rear spring seems way to big.

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but that rear spring seems way to big.
It's odd how they use the description.... That's like the added weight to the vehicle, not the spring rate.

This first photo shows the options... 5 different front springs and 3 different rears.

The second photo shows the specs... spring wire diameter - coil length in MM - number of coil wraps - weight - spring rate lbf/in

In my mind, I would be looking at the 2628 and 2618... But that's why we suggest calling Dirk.

ome.jpg ome rates.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts