Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got signed up for a 3 day, 245 +/- mile Overland Challenge Series Rally in western Arkansas. It starts near Hector, AR and ends somewhere around Oark, AR. Basically we have 10 required check points and 10 optional checkpoints, 5 of which you have to do but you choose which 5. The team that finishes in the least amount of miles wins.

I think it sounds epic but has anyone here done anything like this before? Any good mapping software you recommend? I currently run ViewRanger GPS and Backcountry Navigator (as backup, it's too complicated for my liking) on a Galaxy S5 Active. I will be buying a paper topo map of the area as backup. Any tricks I need to know? I have never done a rally before so I am looking for good ideas for my planning process.

There are some significant water crossings. I will 100% be extending my breather tubes. I am on the fence about a snorkel, I am not sold on the looks but I may actually need the functionality. AEV is the likely choice since it is one piece unlike the Rugged Ridge one that has many joints that could leak. Video from last year showed water crossings over the hood on some vehicles competing in it. I also may be adding some limb raisers.

I have spent many, many weekends down on the trail since I bought the Jeep in September so I am comfortable with the driving aspect. The only thing I don't have much experience with are water crossings. But I know enough that I will be walking every crossing with a long stick before I drive through it.

So basically I am looking for advice and tips from anyone who has experience with the overland rally world. I think I am good on my bring along stuff as I have spent plenty of time on the trail.

My current set-up is:
2014 JKUS- 2.5" lift. 35" Toyo Open Country MTs. Front, rear, side armor. 9.5K winch. JKS sway bar discos. 6 gallons aux fuel with Rotopax. Cobra 19 DX CB with 4' Firestick II. Full recovery kit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, full trail tool kit. Compressor.

Camping will be done in the Jeep to save time in the mornings. I run an amazon SUV air mattress that fits perfect. All my gear fits into 2 rubbermade containers so I can set it out at night without it getting wet. Canyon Cooler keeps my food (and more importantly) beer cold for days.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am pretty excited about it. We're doing the High Watermark trail in Western Arkansas the first weekend in March. It's 145 miles of trail over 3 days with 12 river crossings. I am using that as a shakedown run for the rally. I am not a big fan of crawling around on rocks, to each their own but it just doesn't appeal to me. I like exploring and camping.

We don't care if we win, we just want to finish. Apparently 1/3 of the vehicles DNF the last 2 times they've done this race. The best part is it's FREE!

Here is a link if anyone would want to put a team together. 2 Jeeps required and 4 Jeeps per team max. 6 people max per team. Watch out for team "Pistol Pete's Mustache Ride"!

Oh, and Jeeps have won the last 2 years!

2015 Ozark Overland Challenge: April 10th - 12th

·
Registered
106 Posts
This sounds awesome! since you are not too far from me I'm hoping for a VERY detailed write up when complete!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds awesome! since you are not too far from me I'm hoping for a VERY detailed write up when complete!
Don't worry, pics are required to prove you hit each check point, I should have plenty! I will make a big post with the story of the weekend once we do it. I think it is going to be awesome, I just need to brush up on my navigating skills. I have about a 50% chance of getting lost every time I hit the woods. My family sarcastically calls me "Daniel Boone" due to my lack of a natural compass.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very cool, I can understand why you're excited. Is there a web site that lists these Overland runs? I'll be looking for these out west, sounds like a blast. Best of luck, looking forward to your wright-up, take lots of pics!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it is pretty new, here is what I dug up about it, there isn't much info there. Since it is free, I am assuming they are pretty new. No way people would go through this much trouble and not get something out of it. That is a lot of planning not to recoup any of your time and effort costs.

Overland Challenge Series

1 - 8 of 8 Posts