Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week asking if anyone had ever done any overland rally type races on here and was kinda surprised when no one really had. I did get a number of requests for me to put a thread together about my prep work and Jeep and of course the rally itself.

I have a team I put together (Pistol Pete's Mustache Ride) and we are going to be competing in the Overland Challenge Series Rally April 10th- 12th which starts near Hector, AR and ends near Oark, AR. There are 16 teams competing from all over the country. The basis of the rally is you show up on April 10th to a pre-determined location for the start of the rally. At that point, they hand you the GPS coordinates of 20 checkpoints, 15 of which you have to go to. They require pics of all team members at each checkpoint and I think a few will be manned by volunteers. The whole rally is about 250 +/- miles of trail over 3 days. They take 2 vehicles mileage reading at the start and the finish, the team who does all checkpoints in the least amount of miles wins.

The rally will be a great test for me as it involves off-road driving technique, navigation, camping, and of course fun. I thought I would post my current set-up, plans for prepping for the rally, and anything else I can think of that will maybe help anyone else who ever comes across one of these awesome rally’s. I will be posting updates throughout my prep and plan process and will have TONS of pics of the actual event.

The Jeep:
2014 JKU sport. 2.5” Pro-Comp lift. 35” Toyo Open Country MT’s. Smittybilt XRC front, rear and side armor. JKS quick discos. XRC 9.5K winch. Trucklite headlights, Eyourlife 21” light bar. 2 three gallon Rotopax fuel cells. Extended breather lines. Masterflow 12v air compressor. Bunch of other little stuff.

Navigation and communication:
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active running both Viewranger GPS with USFS topo map download and Backcountry Navigator with USFS topo download. Paper USFS topo map with trails of the area. Cobra 19 DX CB with 4’ Firestick.

Tools and safety:
Red Cross first aid training. 2 weekender first aid kits. 2 lb fire extinguisher. SAE and metric N wrench and socket sets up to 1 ¼”. T:10-T60 Torque bits. Crescent wrenches, vice grips, hammer, phillips and flat head screwdrivers, duct tape, electrical tape, extra electrical wire, zip ties, bailing wire, para cord, collapsible lug wrench with 2 lug sockets, spare lug nuts, tire plugs, tree saver, snatch strap, gloves, tarp, 4 D rings, qt of oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid.

Camping:
2 burner camp stove, one burner backpacker stove, camping cookware, Springstail tailgate table, 12v shop light, folding chair, camp shovel, French press, Canyon Cooler 50 qt, 3 extra propane bottles, anti-bacterial wipes and hand wash, TP, Amazon air mattress that fits in the JKU with the seats folded down, 20 degree sleeping bag, camping blanket, pillow.

Plans before the rally:
Limb risers, snorkel (?), pull carpet, get much more proficient with my navigating.

I'm also doing the 141 mile High Watermark trail in AR the first weekend of March. It is a 3 day camping/overland trip. I will use it to judge if I really need to buy a snorkel and how much I need to work on navigating. As the name implies, it has 12 river crossings on the trail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Looks like fun. I think that if your concerned with water then it is safer to just do the snorkel and not need it than to not get it and ruin a engine.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like fun. I think that if your concerned with water then it is safer to just do the snorkel and not need it than to not get it and ruin a engine.
I agree that it would possibly be useful and 1000 times better than a hydrolocked engine. I am just not sold on the looks of them. Shallow? yes, but its a 5 month old $40k vehicle and I can't get too excited about cutting holes in stuff. I really only do overland type trips, so I could probably use it for more than just this one trip. I'm out at least 2 weekends a month on the trails.

If I do it, I will go with the Rugged Ridge one so that I can take the tall part off when I am not on the trail.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, that is slick! If only it wasn't $600! I sort of have to get creative about my spending on my Jeep right now. I'm saving for a house and a ring for my girlfriend. Since we live together, she notices purchases now... I can put the rugged ridge one on my Amazon store credit card and she'll never know how much I spent on it. That's how I have been sneaking some purchases through lately since she doesn't check that account. She works at a mortgage company who is going to do our house loan so she has been spending WAY too much time looking at my finances the last month as we go through the pre-approval process...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, I just pulled the trigger on the Rugged Ridge high/low snorkel kit. It's being overnighted. Thanks Amazon Prime! Will post pics of the install, I am planning on doing it Sunday.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got all 3 of my breathers extended today. Not too bad with 7 feet of fuel line, 3 hose menders and about an hour of time. Snorkel goes on tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I go my snorkel on... much more difficult than expected and I didn't expect it to be easy. Nothing lined up correctly. It's on for the most part.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got all 3 of my breathers extended today. Not too bad with 7 feet of fuel line, 3 hose menders and about an hour of time. Snorkel goes on tomorrow.
Can you tell me any more about this mod? What is on the ends of the hoses and why?

Also, why did you go with the particular snorkel you went with?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you tell me any more about this mod? What is on the ends of the hoses and why?

Also, why did you go with the particular snorkel you went with?

Thank you!
The little plastic piece on the end is a one way check valve. They're actually on the stock breather hoses. I just cut them off the old location and put them on the new longer hoses. They let the vented gasses escape but make it harder for water to get it.

I chose the rugged ridge for 2 reasons. One, it has a modular design, it has the low mount like you see in the pic and the high mount ram air intake that I will only use on the trail. I honestly am not a fan of the looks of a snorkle but I will need it's function. The second was that you don't have to cut your hood and the vehicle can be returned back to stock. Now you do some cutting and drilling out of spot welds but it's all under the cowl where you won't see it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hope to see ya out there. I'm on the Backwoods Boys and Girls team. We did the Challenge last Oct but had a DNF as I was stupid and locked up my clutch in a mud hole. All is well however and hope to have a great time this April.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hope to see ya out there. I'm on the Backwoods Boys and Girls team. We did the Challenge last Oct but had a DNF as I was stupid and locked up my clutch in a mud hole. All is well however and hope to have a great time this April.
Nice! I'm sure I will find you at one of the camp areas. We aren't trying to win, I just want to finish it. We're going to run part of the trails in Ozark National Forest in 2 weeks to get ready for it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts