Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2015 Rubicon and would like to be able to disconnect the sway-bar in 4hi. anyone out there done this.

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts
you don't need to override anything it works in 4lo and 4hi 18mph and under.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to know, the book says it only works in 4lo. I am knew to jeeps and am looking forward to getting into some tight places with it. I have played a little around my place but I am not going to get serious till I get a winch installed.

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts
I copied this from the 2015 owners manual.

when activation conditions are not met. The stabilizer/
sway bar should remain in on-road mode during normal
driving conditions.
WARNING!
Do not disconnect the stabilizer bar and drive on
hard-surfaced roads or at speeds above 18 mph
(29 km/h); you may lose control of the vehicle, which
could result in serious injury. The front stabilizer bar
enhances vehicle stability and is necessary for maintaining
control of the vehicle. The system monitors
vehicle speed and will attempt to reconnect the
stabilizer bar at speeds over 18 mph (29 km/h). This is
indicated by a flashing or solid “Sway Bar Indicator
Light.” Once vehicle speed is reduced below 14 mph
(22 km/h), the system will once again attempt to
return to off-road mode.
To disconnect the stabilizer/sway bar, shift to either 4H
or 4L and press the SWAY BAR switch to obtain the
off-road position. Refer to “Four-Wheel Drive Operation”
in “Starting and Operating” for further information. The
“Sway Bar Indicator Light” will flash until the stabilizer/
sway bar has been fully disconnected.
NOTE: The stabilizer/sway bar may be torque locked
due to left and right suspension height differences. This
condition is due to driving surface differences or vehicle
loading. In order for the stabilizer/sway bar to
disconnect/reconnect, the right and left halves of the bar
must be aligned. This alignment may require that the
vehicle be driven onto level ground or rocked from side
to side.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hopefully you don't plan on driving at higher speeds disconnected. It is not noticeable at lower speeds but at higher speeds the handling will adversely affected. It will switch from understeer to oversteer; a vehicle behavior not well known to most drivers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If there was a "hack" to have a manual over ride of the auto-disco, I'd do it in a heart beat. 18mph is just too low of a limit for me. I would be happy to get up to at least 30mph with it still disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
It is the lockers that will only engage in 4lo.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I use SuperChips Trail Dash to accomplish what you are wanting to do. It will allow locker use in 4L, 4H, 2H, and sway bar disconnect up to 30MPH. It's also nice for tire pressure programming and speedometer calibration. Offers stock as well as octane tunes.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If there was a "hack" to have a manual over ride of the auto-disco, I'd do it in a heart beat. 18mph is just too low of a limit for me. I would be happy to get up to at least 30mph with it still disconnected.
If the terrain allows you to drive 30mph, you dont need the sway bar disconnected

·
Super Moderator
22,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If the terrain allows you to drive 30mph, you dont need the sway bar disconnected
While this is true, I also don't "need" to drop my tire pressure either, but I do so more for comfort than traction most of the time. Here in Nevada, it's nice to be able to run up to 30 on the bumpy desert roads disconnected as the ride is much better.

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not every trail you go on is uniform and only has 1 type of terrain... There are spots where you are running 35mph between sections of 5mph. It would be nice to have it stay disconnected for comfort, for not wearing out the motor, and waiting again to disconnect when you hit the next section.

Do people with manual disconnects get out after every section of terrain on a trail and reconnect to go half a mile and then disconnect again?
Just want that same option with the e-disco

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
While this is true, I also don't "need" to drop my tire pressure either, but I do so more for comfort than traction most of the time. Here in Nevada, it's nice to be able to run up to 30 on the bumpy desert roads disconnected as the ride is much better.
Not every trail you go on is uniform and only has 1 type of terrain... There are spots where you are running 35mph between sections of 5mph. It would be nice to have it stay disconnected for comfort, for not wearing out the motor, and waiting again to disconnect when you hit the next section.

Do people with manual disconnects get out after every section of terrain on a trail and reconnect to go half a mile and then disconnect again?
Just want that same option with the e-disco
Agree. Out yesterday exploring an old mine I'd go from smooth two track where I could go 30 mph easily to exposed rock that I had to go over at a crawl. I hit the 18 mph limit all the time and I'm forced to choose between hitting the rough patches with the sway bar connected or driving over the smooth patches at 17.5 mph.

I was wondering the same. Do you all disconnect and reconnect as the terrain changes? Doubtful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts