Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the roads are wet, I get a lot of over spray on the rear window. I have mud flaps on the front and rear wheels but that doesn't keep the over spray off the rear window. Anyone have any ideas that will help with this problem? The wiper works just fine but it's a distraction having to turn it on and off all the time.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
wider fenders

·
Registered
533 Posts
Don't drive in the rain? Every vehicle I have ever driven in the rain gets this, not sure there is a way around it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This is why most SUV's have a rear wiper. With the vertical rear window right in front of the rear bumper they get covered in crap. There is nothing you can do to stop it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aerodynamics is the biggest reason for the stuff that accumulates on the back windows. That would be difficult to change.

I don't know how people deal with the same issue with backup cameras.
I was wondering about backup cameras too. I currently don't have one but am planning on getting one real soon.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Distraction to turn the rear wiper on? What's the distraction? Turn the stem or don't drive in the rain.. Really, think about it. Vertical window, it will get covered. If you use the front wiper, you'll need the rear too. Wait till you hit some mud spray. Sorry, just didn't understand the question. Use the wiper.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Distraction to turn the rear wiper on? What's the distraction? Turn the stem or don't drive in the rain.. Really, think about it. Vertical window, it will get covered. If you use the front wiper, you'll need the rear too. Wait till you hit some mud spray. Sorry, just didn't understand the question. Use the wiper.
I can understand why you don't get it. I'm delivering mail and have to exit and get back on the road very frequent. I need the visibility out of the rear window and don't want to have to turn the wiper on every time I'm getting back on the road. In normal driving, it wouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Applying a hydrophobic glass coating will help when it is raining hard enough to rinse the back glass. Driving on wet roads after the rain will have the worst accumulation. Like others have said, all suvs do it. My Tahoe is horrible. Even on clear days, the back is dirty in less than 5 miles. I use Carpro Flyby 30 glass coating on all of my vehicles. It works great and I get about 6-9 months out of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, there are 2 thing you can add to help reduce rear window spray. In order of difference made.

1: full width rear splash guard. Hanging rubber drape style
2: a flat extention of the roof (spoiler)

Both will result in horrendous bouts of laughter from fellow jeepers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As much as I hate to say it, there are 2 thing you can add to help reduce rear window spray. In order of difference made.

1: full width rear splash guard. Hanging rubber drape style
2: a flat extention of the roof (spoiler)

Both will result in horrendous bouts of laughter from fellow jeepers.
I may look into the rear spash guard and as someone else suggested, RainX. Thanks all.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unfortunately it's not a jeep thing, every suv I've owned had this issue. At first I'd use the rear wiper then just didn't care anymore and would wash it with the wiper every now and then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts