Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
year 1 living in VA, come to learn that we must pay use tax annually depending on initial cost of vehicle? If so, is there ways to help lessen the blow?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Where did you live before where you didn't pay annual taxes on your vehicle? Colorado does the same thing, though taxes and registration are all at the same time rather than split like Virginia.

And if I'm not mistaken, year after year, the taxable value of your vehicle in Virginia is based off it's NADA worth as of January of that year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I lived in Indiana a few years ago, it cost 10$/year to get a license plate. The “inspection” was simply answering the question ‘did you drive it to the dmv?’ in the affirmative. No extra tax, no fees, just done.

2017 JK Rubicon, Manual

·
Registered
30 Posts
i think what you are talking about is the personal property tax...an annual tax based on the vehicles value. No way around it (although once a vehicle reaches a certain age they stop charging the tax).
You can try registering it in another state but then you run into issues with insurance and you probably have to lie when you get tags to whatever dmv you register the vehicle at.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Pretty much the same thing here and Wyoming. Registration is based upon MSRP and there is a differentia differential percentage so for the 1st 5 years it starts high then goes low. Back in 2014 we bought 2 brand new jeeps a brand new Mustang GT And a Harley trike. The 1st year tags was over $2000. Next year's tags which is at the end of the 5 year thing and will be constant For the life of the vehicle that we keep them is about $1000 total. Even if you pay $1 for a vehicle it is still register cost at the MSRP differential rate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed. Just moved here from Florida. My FL registration was a fixed amount based on size/weight. My jeep there was about $60 per year. Now I have 5 vehicles to register...Although I think the occasional use ones are gonna get put off till next year.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. Just moved here from Florida. My FL registration was a fixed amount based on size/weight. My jeep there was about $60 per year. Now I have 5 vehicles to register...Although I think the occasional use ones are gonna get put off till next year.
Nice, where did ya settle at? What brings you to va?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
This is exactly I ensure I reside enough days in Florida each year to retain my status as a resident there and not in Virginia where I’d rather be. The tax difference alone were I to be a VA resident is ~$2200 a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice, where did ya settle at? What brings you to va?
I'm in New Kent, on the Chickahominy River. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for leaving Florida but it's become a place I don't recognize anymore...
We purchased a campground up here, and are working on expanding the Marina side of the business.

Loving Virginia so far, we'll see how the winter goes...

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I'm in New Kent, on the Chickahominy River. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for leaving Florida but it's become a place I don't recognize anymore...
We purchased a campground up here, and are working on expanding the Marina side of the business.

Loving Virginia so far, we'll see how the winter goes...
Which one? Riverside Camp and Marina? I’m less than an hour away in Mathews County.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CA does the same. My RV registration is $1300/y. State taxes used to be all deductible on Fed taxes. No longer starting with the taxes we paid this year...

BOHICA

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Yea, how'd you know?? We just purchased the business and moved up in May. This will be our first winter without shorts and flip flops.

Come by some time and say hi.
How’d I know… Easy, Google is my friend... Searched “campgrounds New Kent Chickahominy” and there were only a couple of choices of which only one looked to have a marina.
Sorry I didn’t get to stop by this trip: Family health concerns. If all goes as planned, I expect to be back in Mathews in late October or early November and will try to swing by then.
Good luck with the business.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep. I had to pay almost $500 for my "car tax" a couple weeks ago (about 8x what I paid for my old Mazda a year ago). Absolutely ridiculous.

I also thought it was classy of the DMV to tack on an $11 service charge for using a credit card online and not mailing them a check. Gotta love the government.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. I had to pay almost $500 for my "car tax" a couple weeks ago (about 8x what I paid for my old Mazda a year ago). Absolutely ridiculous.

I also thought it was classy of the DMV to tack on an $11 service charge for using a credit card online and not mailing them a check. Gotta love the government.
Is that with tax relief applied?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts