Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I modified the exhaust by removing the catalytic converter and muffler for better departure angles. My check engine light now reads an oxygen sensor and gas cap fault, is this common? Will it clear and remain cleared from the computer?

·
Registered
291 Posts
How does removing the cats give you better departure angles?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Getting a check engine light after removing the cats is is to be expected.

In all modern vehicles there is an O2 sensor placed before the cat and another one after the cat.. This is done to check the cat's efficiency.

The cat changes the exhaust makeup. If the cat is working, the front and rear O2 sensors will read differently. If the cat loses efficiency, the exhaust chemistry won't be changed and sensors will read the same. When the ECU sees the sensors reading the same, it assumes the cat has gone bad and turns on the check engine light.

A bad cat and no cat will be interpreted by the ECU as the same thing. And if you removed any of the O2 sensors, the ECU will miss them and will turn on the check engine light.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well let me ask you this, since I found this thread in searching for my own problem. I installed the American Thunder Flowmaster exhaust, and in the process, cracked my manifold. I had headers and a new cat y-pipe installed, along with new O-2 sensors, and Im getting the codes for the O-2 sensors. Do I need to adjust fuel ratios now since i have more air out, but the same in?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If your problem is a cracked manifold why wouldn't you fix that?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
What are the exact codes you're getting? (There are several codes related to Heated O2 sensors).

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I modified the exhaust by removing the catalytic converter and muffler for better departure angles. My check engine light now reads an oxygen sensor and gas cap fault, is this common? Will it clear and remain cleared from the computer?
Are you just trolling? Recently I took off my wheels and was surprised when I had trouble negotiating obstacles....

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but asking honestly.... Why wont it be here long, because its about removing the cats or what?
Forum rule regarding illegal modifications, such as removing the cat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts