Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread to post and keep track of mods and additions I make to my new-to-me 2017 JKUR. I think these things look simply awesome stock and would be fine in leaving it completely as is... but where would be the fun in that? 馃榿

Here she is as I purchased her. She only had 21,800km's (16,900mi), in like new condition, and had the key features I wanted... nav, handsfree wheel controls, and heated cloth seats. Plus the Off-road features of the Rubicon were too appealing.

Attachments

Registered
Indeed, half the fun is in the modding, don鈥檛 want to miss out on that!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Added some Wild Boar grab handles to the front. Was going to add them to the back seat as well, but worried the kids would bang they heads o them getting in and out so decided against it.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Also added some Redline Tuning hood struts which I added for safety reasons. My previous truck did not have struts and once when raising the hood my hand slipped and the hood crashed down. Luckily did not get hurt but gave me a scare and from then on decided I'd always have hood struts, if the vehicle didn't come with factory struts. I'd highly recommend these struts, no drilling or modifications required. Uses existing bolts and holes and took 15min tops to install. One finger ease lift and after about 6" raised it lifts on it's own. Love them.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
A couple more add's.... Matte Black Clip-in Front Grille mesh inserts and JL hood latches. Just liked the look of these, and didn't care so much for the JK latch operation. These JL latches didnt go on and fit quite as well as I expected from watching a couple videos. But they work well enough, and I prefer the look, so I'm happy enough.

Attachments

Premium Member
Nice start to the build!

Since you鈥檙e Ozzy, is your black Jeep the Prince(ss) of Darkness?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
So, couple more adds yesterday. Smoked lens LED tailights and LED 3rd brake light. Hard to get good photos.

Really like these taillights, they look sweet, pictures don't do them justice. Didn't get one of the backup lights, but they are way brighter than stock.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Added a Brandmotion 9002-8847 adjustable Mount Camera with Factory Display Radio yesterday and I'm very happy with it. Was fairly easy install (thanks to online videos) with only a couple minor hiccups. Was not the cheapest option, but I think its well worth it.

And I purchased this version which includes an adjustable spare tire hub mounting bracket for use with aftermarket wheels and larger tires, so when I lift and go to bigger tires, the camera bracket can be adjusted to accommodate.

Attachments

Registered
Like your JK - I just got one and have been adding accessories I like. Do you have a link for the fuel cap cover as I like the look of yours and is it a quality product? The camera is cool also - does it hook up to the radio ( I think it's a 430 with navigation ) that comes with your jeep and does it come on whenever you go into reverse? Thanks much! BMcD

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man, appreciated... and congrats on your Jeep purchase, looks sweet!

I purchased the fuel cap on Amazon. It wasn鈥檛 cheap, but it鈥檚 built pretty solid and I love the look (this should be an OEM item on these Jeeps, IMO). In amazon search; Mopar 82214793 Fuel Filler Door.

Yes, the camera plugs right into your factory radio w/ navigation (430), and yes, it comes on when you go into reverse. This model comes with an OBM Flash Module which programs the radio to recognize it to do this. I was a little skeptical because I installed a camera in my previous vehicle and I has to splice it into the back-up light wiring at the rear taillight. But this one just needs to be wired/spliced into the 12v power outlet.

Note that the wiring has changed some from older wiring, they now have a red & black (pos & ground) wire at the rear and only a red (pos) at the front. This allows you to splice into the positive terminals at either the front or back 12v harness, but the ground has to be connected at the rear because that is your only option. I attached both positive & ground in rear because it just makes sense, plus there is a bit more space to work in compared to the front dash.

There is a 12v power adapter under the plastic cover on the passenger side in the cargo area. I think some Jeeps come with a 12v outlet back there from factory. Mine did not, but the power harness is still there to tap into (and a 12v power adapter could be installed 鈥 which I plan to do in the near future). I actually bought a special harness to plug into that 12v adapter, then I spliced into that harness wiring (instead of the factory wires). But you don鈥檛 need to spend the money on a special harness, if your fine with tapping into the factory wires.

Here are a few videos on installation (again, keeping in mind the difference in wiring):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuLyGilC6yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQOggYToGiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL5xbNzsucg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Couple small additions, door strap bracket extensions which allow the doors to open wider (making it a bit easier to get in and out if the back seat especially) plus will make strap removal a tad easier when removing doors. Also added the back seat recline kit which my kids and wife both like. Slight angle to the rear seat and makes it more comfy.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Purchased the Smittybilt Electric Winch hardtop removal kit. Installed in garage ceiling. Also added 2x4 supports to take some weight off the single winch point. And installed my new softtop. I did it in the heat and sun, but it was still a bit difficult to install due to stiffness/newness.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
Also added smoked LED front signal and fender signal lights as well as Rugged Ridge door sill protectors. You know, I should wash and vacuum my Jeep before taking photos. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts