Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 JKU, with 102K on the clock. It's been trouble free up until I had the 95K service done on it. I do have the lifetime warranty on it, so I have the dealer do all the suggested service, at the suggested intervals.

Since the service, it bogs, backfires, and loses power under heavy acceleration. I took it to the dealer once to have it looked at, and it had not thrown a CEL and they couldn't get it to do it, so they did nothing. Last week, it throws a CEL, so I take up there again. They drive it all day, can't get it to do it. They pull the code and tell me that it's an old code and it's for a misfire. Ultimately, they tell me they can't fix it until they get the Jeep to act up.

I've told them that I can't keep bringing it back every other week. The code indicates a short list of things that could cause this. At some point, they're going to have to start replacing plugs, coil packs, or cam position sensors until this is fixed. I'm thinking it's either plugs or coil packs, since the problem didn't show up until they changed those out.

Is it possible that they're just blowing me off since I have the lifetime warranty and they'll only get $100 to fix this?

·
Banned
774 Posts
Not sure if they are blowing you off or not but mine had some of the same issues going on and didn't throw a code either until it finally went out. It was my torque converter. Just went out and mine was under warranty and my mechanic had them put a new transmission in mine. This is the second time mine had went out. The first time was about 1-1/2 yrs ago at 59,000 miles and the again two weeks ago. Neither time did I get a code or hot oil light until it was going completely out. I did notice for the past month before it failed my gas mileage slowly going down and it hanging in gears for a little longer

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's got a manual transmission, so I doubt that's my trouble. If it is, I've got all sorts of issues. I have noticed my MPG drop off. If it's misfiring, wouldn't that foul up a plug?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you think that they are blowing you off, take it to another dealer and have them look at it. There are plenty of them in the metro area. The dealer gets paid by the company that underwrites the extended warranty, the $100 is just your deductible, just like your car insurance has a deductible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick follow up on this..ended up with a #6 misfire. Shop ended up replacing the head on that side of the motor. That's the second head I've had put on. Since then, no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts