Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light has lit up. I hooked up my code reader and it says "P0016 Cam/Crankshaft Position Correlation Sensor". I've looked it up and they are 2 different sensors. How do I know which one is bad and needs to be replaced. I've looked everywhere and I can't find an answer. If anyone has any knowledge on this scenario, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.:banghead:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
The P0016 means the cam position sensor (CMP) is out of sync with the crankshaft position sensor (CKP). That one may send you into limp made when you hit about 160 º water temp. If you have not done anything involving moving the OPDA which houses the CMP then you need to pull the OPDA as it may have excessive gear wear causing it to retard the “timing” of the CMP. If that gear breaks you will have BIG problems! The OPDAs are known to have issues involving the shaft binding causing gear wear & some actual failures mostly on ’05 & ‘06s. Search “laughing monkey” or go to this OPDA info thread & read the first page.

OPDA info & mods

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You can never know without putting a scope on both of them. I just buy both anytime I have that code. I've seen people have issues many times when they get a crank code and replace that, only to have it turn back on until they replace the cam sensor. Most ECUs are not sophisticated enough to know which one is off, only that they are not the same anymore.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
It's a sync issue not a loss of signal issue. I've seen a few of these on '05 & '06s and it is the OPDA that has been moved or has excessive gear wear or has been removed then reinstalled but not properly set to the engine's TDC. A couple of guys did a MML & somehow got the OPDA bumped or turned in the process & had the P0016. Resetting the OPDA cleared the code.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I just buy both anytime I have that code. I've seen people have issues many times when they get a crank code and replace that, only to have it turn back on until they replace the cam sensor.
It would be next to impossible for the crank sensor to be at fault in a loss of sync situation.

How do I know which one is bad and needs to be replaced.
An out-of-sync condition does not suggest that either sensor is "bad." Just like someone who is out of step while marching in formation doesn't need new boots to get back in step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts