Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 JK. Recently started getting cold here in Texas. Had the Check Engine light come on with this stupid code. Reset, warmed up and code did not come back. Got cold again and it come on again, sot its on all the time. Did the research to the Thermostat and/ or the Temp Sensor on the side of the block. Looks like most of the people replaced their Thermostat and it was good. Now here is the question. I have looked on line, and the 2012 and up looks like you have to replace the entire housing? Looking at Quadratec, you can buy 2 aftermarket one for like 55 bucks, but no OEM replacement. The aftermarket ones are 180 deg. So if I do try to replace with the 180 will the light still come on because the temp is not getting hot in the required time? My thought it would due to the OEM being like 195 or 205, something like that? Suggestions from you needed. Buy the entire housing and swap out, or is there a new thermostat only? Coolant good, still possible temp sensor, but looking like this is the easiest to go for now. So what way do you think I should go?? This is the first time the light have ever come on. I do have it programmed with the Superchips programmer, but did not see anything about temps. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
The 180 degree WILL throw a code when it's cool, make sure you get the 203.

Also make sure you're not confusing the Housing Neck Angle of 180 Degrees with the temp rating.

I used this one several years ago and it's been doing fine: LINK

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes it's the whole housing. I picked mine up at the dealer. Probably paid more than I should but i didn't want the worry of wondering if i got the right part.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
@hermesgrafix ... have you checked your coolant levels? I had the P0128 not too long ago and prior to changing out the thermostat or sensor, i noticed my reservoir coolant was near empty.

Went to the dealer to pick up coolant, reset the code, and after hundreds of miles, MIL/CEL hasn't lit up.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
I'd use OE only for the thermostat and sensors. Search the web you can find a Mopar thermostat with the housing for under $45 shipped free.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 180 degree WILL throw a code when it's cool, make sure you get the 203.

Also make sure you're not confusing the Housing Neck Angle of 180 Degrees with the temp rating.

I used this one several years ago and it's been doing fine: LINK
I figured if I went with a cooler Thermostat, that the code would for sure pop up. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@hermesgrafix ... have you checked your coolant levels? I had the P0128 not too long ago and prior to changing out the thermostat or sensor, i noticed my reservoir coolant was near empty.

Went to the dealer to pick up coolant, reset the code, and after hundreds of miles, MIL/CEL hasn't lit up.
Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. Was a little low, but not much. Spent like 20 bucks getting the correct stuff. Apparently there was a change around the year before and the coolants do not work well together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A cooler t-stat like the 180 is the way to go. It will require a custom tuning change to prevent the CEL. The 180 t-stat is one of the first mods we make to customer vehicles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Had that code a while back and changed out the thermostat and has been good ever since. Do not use a 180 thermostat without a tune. The computer will then start throwing all kinds of codes because the system components that use temps will not be reading high enough and may put the jeep in limp mode...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had that code a while back and changed out the thermostat and has been good ever since. Do not use a 180 thermostat without a tune. The computer will then start throwing all kinds of codes because the system components that use temps will not be reading high enough and may put the jeep in limp mode...
Same here just changed mine last February, the code is the engine not warming up within a set amount of time. Very easy job to do and only replace it with the same temp t stat as the factory uses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts