Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drive a 04 wrangler 4.0 and i got a check engine light the other code code was P0135 02 Heater Circuit ( Bank 1, Sensor 1). Have no idea where this is what it means. Tired doing a reach on here and google anyone have any ideas?.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Your upstream oxygen sensor is bad it would be the one directly under the manifold kind of looks like a spark plug with wires coming out of it

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
mannyssj13 said:
so pretty much i just need a new 02 sensor? Why is it called heater circuit then?
It's called heater circuit because the O2 sensor has a heating element in it to get it up to proper operating temperature faster so that it can monitor the exhaust gasses much sooner.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's called heater circuit because the O2 sensor has a heating element in it to get it up to proper operating temperature faster so that it can monitor the exhaust gasses much sooner.
Now what would I be ordering to fix this just a 02 sensor?

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any kinda of 02 sensor or just any 02 sensor meant for a wrangler good enough reason i ask I'm on rockauto.com right now and see tons of 02 sensors some say Front; Post-Cat (Downstream),Upstream Sensor; Rear,Downstream Sensor; Front just confusing sorry if it a stupid question.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Get the NTK front pre cat, bank 1 is cylinders 1-3. Your jeep must have 4 o2 sensors?

NTK part# 23137
And search for coupon codes you usually save 5% on the order

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'd buy the mopar sensor over any other knockoff. OEM sensors always work the best. before you replace the sensor, check the fuses.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went to start my jeep today and the check engine light was off. Could it be due to the weather it was auctioning up when it started temps were about in the 20s today it's about 44 and no light.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Sure could, if the heater is starting to go bad and taking a bit to warm up. It would take less time on a warmer day then a cold one.

And if it's any help it appears you have a 4 sensor system. UPSTREAM are the two sensors in front of the cat convertor. DOWNSTREAM are the ones behind the cat convertor.

As said Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the sensor that reads cylinders 1/2/3 in front of the cat.
Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the sensor that reads cylinders 4/5/6 in front of the cat.

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the sensor behind the cat from which cylinders 1/2/3 feed into.
Bank 2 Sensor 2 is the sensor behind the cat from which cylinders 4/5/6 feed into.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had the P0132 pop up on Monday morning as soon I turned it on (check engine :confused:),I hadn't driven mine since last Thursday and it was cold.

I drove it around this morning (errands) and the check engine light went off.

Sometimes I feel like I'm driving Sybil (a split personality Jeep),I already made an appointment for Thursday for them (dealership) to check it out.Could be the wire or fuse but was happy the check engine light cleared itself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i forget.when i replaced my O2 sensor did i need to unplug my battery so when i restarted it the computer would recalibrate itself? maybe it was my idle air control i'm thinking of.anyway, do you need to unplug the battery for a few after replacing the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Leeroy Jeepkins said:
i forget.when i replaced my O2 sensor did i need to unplug my battery so when i restarted it the computer would recalibrate itself? maybe it was my idle air control i'm thinking of.anyway, do you need to unplug the battery for a few after replacing the O2 sensor?
I never have.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I got the same code a couple weeks ago.....P0135 on my '04 TJ Sport. I have experienced no change in performance, sound from exhaust or any odd smells (outside of the Jeep smellin' like awesome everyday since I've owned it) that I've been able to tell....not that I should have or would even know/realize. I have recently changed my air intake & exhaust which I've read that people have gotten similar errors after exhaust changes....who knows. The engine light has also only appeared on two different days when the weather has been the coldest (at least for Texas); but then when it warms up it goes away.

So, from the info on these forums (as well as the link below) I'm about to order the #23137 (NGK) from Rock Auto $45.79 plus $2.31 shipping.....$48.10 total. Bank 1 sensor 1, pre-cat upstream front o2 sensor. Will post the results once installed and time for the code to clear.

Here is the list that completely cleared my confusion as far as part numbers, once I knew which one it was telling me to change.

Oxygen 02 Sensor FAQ and Information - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
496 Posts
our work vans have an auto track system hooked up to them. that way our work can track us if we use the van for personal use,speed,drive in or out of a geo fence etc. it will send an email to our bosses whenever an error code is thrown also. seems like we get a lot of O2 sensor codes thrown when there is an extreme change in weather(like very warm to very cold or vice versa)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
willybTJ said:
I got the same code a couple weeks ago.....P0135 on my '04 TJ Sport. I have experienced no change in performance, sound from exhaust or any odd smells (outside of the Jeep smellin' like awesome everyday since I've owned it) that I've been able to tell....not that I should have or would even know/realize. I have recently changed my air intake & exhaust which I've read that people have gotten similar errors after exhaust changes....who knows. The engine light has also only appeared on two different days when the weather has been the coldest (at least for Texas); but then when it warms up it goes away.

So, from the info on these forums (as well as the link below) I'm about to order the #23137 (NGK) from Rock Auto $45.79 plus $2.31 shipping.....$48.10 total. Bank 1 sensor 1, pre-cat upstream front o2 sensor. Will post the results once installed and time for the code to clear.

Here is the list that completely cleared my confusion as far as part numbers, once I knew which one it was telling me to change.

Oxygen 02 Sensor FAQ and Information - JeepForum.com
Thanks this really helped out a lot!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd like to pick up on this old thread.

My truck had this code, both 02 sensors were replaced. I had the code cleared, and it stayed off for a day, three or four starts total. It came back on. I had it cleared again, and it again lasted for another day, but this morning, the light is back on.

Is there any other part of the circuit I should be diagnosing?

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
I'd like to pick up on this old thread. My truck had this code, both 02 sensors were replaced. I had the code cleared, and it stayed off for a day, three or four starts total. It came back on. I had it cleared again, and it again lasted for another day, but this morning, the light is back on. Is there any other part of the circuit I should be diagnosing?
What brand sensors did you put in?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts