Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until last week my 97 TJ was driving fine for the most part. Started to overheat on my way home and I found the upper tank on my radiator cracked. Popped a new radiator in the next day, all new coolant, everything was fine, no leaks. Drove it home with no problems. 2 days later I started it up in the morning and it made a pretty awful screeching noise right as it turned over and starting idling very rough. It was the first really cold morning of the year but it seemed like a LOT of exhaust coming out, like a pretty thick cloud of it. I also noticed a tiny drip of coolant coming from somewhere near the rear of the engine, can’t seem to pinpoint it, and only when it’s running. Once it gets going it actually drives pretty well but the idling is very rough and it just spit out the P0302 code. The oil looks ok, no sign of coolant, but I just can’t help but think this is head/head gasket related. What kind of hell on earth am I looking at here and where do I even start troubleshooting?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Given what you are describing, maybe time to do a compression check? Then a leak down test.

It may not be that but given the story you have told, it would be where I'd start. A P0302 is a misfire on cyl 2 so it could be spark plug, wire or fuel injector. Maybe swap the cyl 1 and 2 plug. See if the P0302 turns into a P0301.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts