Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get this code and it not be related to the head? I have 29K on my 2012 and seems like if it was the head issue I should have already had issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this issue with my 08 JKU, it had 120K on it and cylinder 5 and 6 were misfiring and i was losing oil fast. i took it to the dealership and it my cylnders were worn and i ended up getting a refurbished engine (top block) luckily my insurance company paid for it. you should still have the warranty though id get it checked though.
hope this helps

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
You need a new head. 2012 MY with a misfire on even cylinders is pretty much a complete given. people have had head failures at up to 70k. There is no safe mileage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone got an appt with the dealer tomorrow so we will see how that goes

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer confirmed it needs a new head. Replacement will arrive on Monday so I should have my jeep back soon. Only downside is the loaner is a Camry

·
Registered
37 Posts
nknacd - Did the dealer give you a hard time? I got the light on my '12 JKU and just got it scanned. Mine is the #2 cylinder. I am going to call dealer today, but I am already envisioning them giving me the song and dance (bad gas, loose nut on the steering wheel, etc).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had 30K on my 2012 JK when my head went. I was hunting up in Maine and it through the code on an old logging road. Had to limp it back from Maine to RI and my dealer replaced it without issue. Unfortunately it is a common issue with the 2012s. Downside was that they didn't flush the coolant.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had 30K on my 2012 JK when my head went. I was hunting up in Maine and it through the code on an old logging road. Had to limp it back from Maine to RI and my dealer replaced it without issue. Unfortunately it is a common issue with the 2012s. Downside was that they didn't flush the coolant.
Mine has 14k on it. Been throwing 302 code for last 3 months. It seems to run ok when it comes on other than ECO no longer shows by odometer. I can clear it and it may stay off for a week or might show up next day. Going to try get it in this week and maybe get transmission/power steering line recall fix IF they have the parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Billabong73, i didn't mention that i new about the issues when i took it. I figured i'd see what they have to say first. at first the service guy said its probably a spark plug but they will check it over to make sure. 45 mins later he came to get me and said he has some bad news and they want to get me over to the rental car place before they close as they will need to keep it. So far it hasn't been a hassle other then having to take it and drive around in a camry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Brought it to dealer (that I purchased from) Thursday morning. A few hours later, got the call, "It's a bad head. Common thing. We have it in stock (!!!). Do you want us to do it now or schedule for another day?" "Uh, yeah, do it."
Got it back Friday night. Running smooth. They did a nice job. Engine compartment looks clean. They changed the coolant too.

Maybe the fact that I bribed them with Dunkin Donuts when I dropped it off helped? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts