Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Had some bugs on the front grill that needed to be removed so I pressure washed the Jeep and grill and as soon as I pulled out of the drive way the CEL came on. Checked the cod and got the P0306.

Jeeps going into the dealership Tuesday and I'm not 100% confident with them being completely honest.

$2000 head replacement vs minor computer wire issue.

Anyone have codes after car wash/ water into the engine compartment via the grill?

Jeeps a 2014 JKU Sahara with about 70K.
Just purchased it about 2 months ago and if this cost me anything my wife will KILL me.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sean

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,857 Posts
P0306 is a cylinder #6 misfire probably caused by moisture from your pressure wash. Try one of these things. Many members here report a better running rig as a bonus for clearing the adaptive memory in the ECU.

To erase a code, use a scanner tool to remove that specific code. I use the iCar ODB II module with the JScan software. ODBII is about $25 on Amazon and the license for JScan is about $15. Far cheaper than buying a reader. AutoZone or your local auto parts store can do this for you as well, to save a trip to the stealership.

To dump all codes, remove the battery cable for 10 minutes, then reconnect.

If you want to erase the adaptive memory completely and set the ECU to a new start up, remove the cable 10 minutes, reattach the cable and turn the key to the run position. While the key is in the run position, turn the headlights on, then off. Turn the key to the off position. The ECU will then be completely reset for a first start up.

If the code returns (assuming everything is dry) either check the plug at #6 to ensure everything is fine or take it to the dealer for assumedly another issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did erase the code via APPCAR, light went off but came back on a few minutes later. I'll try and disconnect the battery later today and reset the ECU.

Thanks for the input/suggestion USSTRONGMAN!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
If you got #6 ignition wet then give it a day or 2 for it to dry out before you go to town with the bag of tricks. It may not be at all necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you got #6 ignition wet then give it a day or 2 for it to dry out before you go to town with the bag of tricks. It may not be at all necessary.

It's been a little over a week since the wash, but humidity is higher then normal and I havent really drove it far.
Pulled the negative and try to reset everything and the light/P0306 came back on after about 5 miles.

Have a little trip Saturday I'm going on and humidity drops a bit so my last stand before I take it to the dealership Tuesday I guess.

Hopefully its just a censor and they're honest.

I did have it in a couple days after I got it for CEL and they said it was a loose wire (dont know the code it was) so hopefully it gets fixed under that visit and under the 30 day grace period.

THanks for the suggestions!

Sean

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,573 Posts
Hello,

Had some bugs on the front grill that needed to be removed so I pressure washed the Jeep and grill and as soon as I pulled out of the drive way the CEL came on. Checked the cod and got the P0306.

Jeeps going into the dealership Tuesday and I'm not 100% confident with them being completely honest.

$2000 head replacement vs minor computer wire issue.

Anyone have codes after car wash/ water into the engine compartment via the grill?

Jeeps a 2014 JKU Sahara with about 70K.
Just purchased it about 2 months ago and if this cost me anything my wife will KILL me.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sean
Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing! If you would like an additional layer of assistance as you work with your dealer, our team would be happy to help. We are just a private message away.

Mark
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks Mark I maybe in touch

Well went in yesterday to the dealership. 1st they thought it was the coil as when they moved it from the 6 to the 2 the code followed ($500.00)
SO they replaced the coil and plug and took it for a ride and the code came back to the 6, P0306
So they are sorta stumped as am I
Hopefully good new today but I doubt it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sean

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Did they change the spark plug wire as well? If the wire got wet I would think that A. it might take a while to dry out and B. the code would continue to show up.

I would try a new #6 wire.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wow, that escalated quickly from a 'followed the plug' to a new head.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It will be interesting to see if that cures the problem. IIRC, warranty work is paid by the manufacturer and keeps dealership mechanics working without having to get customers to pay. Dealer and customer both win.

I once had an issue with a GMC box truck that began running crappy after driving home from Maine during a rain storm. The truck started running rough and I couldn't get over 30 miles per hour.

This resulted in the dealer replacing all of the injectors to the tune of $2,000 under the warranty.

This happened again about 6 months later and back to the dealer we go. This time at the back end of a wrecker.

While at the dealership I happened to walk into the mechanic bay and noticed a strange dust/dirt pattern on top of the gas tank that they had dropped to the floor. There were definite clean strip patterns on top of the tank in the dirt coming from where the fuel pump attached. I mentioned to the mechanic that since new, the gas tank always spilled over at fill up which everyone felt was strange since this is a vacuum system.

Upon further examination, it was determined that when the fuel pump assembly was originally installed the gasket was not seated properly and this created a void in the vacuum system. While driving in the rain, the system drew in water and this caused the truck to run poorly. (The town had even checked the tanks where I got my gas for water and none was found when this first happened.)

So, two sets of injectors and $4,000 in mechanic expenses charged back to GM when the problem actually turned out to be a $4 gas tank gasket.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
What you might have going on here is a coincidence. It is possible the head is bad, or you have a problem with a lifter, rocker, cam, etc. and your power washing episode was just poor timing. If it is in fact a bad head, lifter, cam or rocker arm, don't let them tell you the power washer caused it, and charge you for the repair. That type of thing can, and does [sometimes] happen to people who aren't well informed unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Still waiting to hear from the warranty company if they are going to cover the head replacement. If they dont I'm screwed

I didnt mention the power washer to anyone for that exact reason.
Going to follow up with them in a bit, taking a long time (48hrs) for them to approve it.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts