Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Wrangler and a few weeks ago I got the error p0441 and I read online most likely it's the gas cap so I took my wife's old gas cap from her 2017 Wrangler and put it on my Jeep and have my buddy clear the code. I drove it for about 2 days and the code p0441 came back up. So I was also reading it might have had something to do with the gas so my tank was completely empty anyway so I filled it to the top and had my buddy clear the p0441 code again. This time the engine light didn't come back on but it did come on about a week and a half later when my gas tank reached halfway mark. So I filled it all the way up again had my buddy clear the code po441 and I'm waiting to see if it comes on again at the halfway mark.

Any suggestions on hoses to check and where they would be located or should I change the purge valve and if I do change the valve where would I find a Mopar purge valve since I read aftermarket ones don't work correctly unless it's Mopar. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timp, that write up is for different codes but similar issue, I wounder if I should go in the same order to replace parts. I ordered a Vapor Canister Purge Valve MOPAR 4891731AA before anyone replied so im going to replace that first. I also followed and felt every hose I though went to the EVAC system and they are like new. Not sure whats next if the purge vale doesnt fix it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree its different codes. If the 441 is really just electrical then your purge valve should do it because (best i can tell) that is the only circuit its talking about. im assuming the wires havent rotted, worth checking them too. If it could also be a leak (which is what google suggested) then i think the list is still valid (maybe im wrong).

It sounds like you ran though most of the list. Maybe run again and then try to build the smoke tester he talks about. BUT after you put in the new bit, no sense worrying about it until that proves it in or out :)

In my case it wasnt a line issue but a connector issue, they 'look' good but the seal wasnt doing it job. I got very lucky that i fixed my problem relocating the purge for completely different reasons. Maybe there is some lube / 'rubber renew' / ect you could put on all the connectors and see if that helps but with intermittent issues and the number of connectors thats likely just going to bring you back to the same point sooner or later.

Time to take up smoking :-D but im hoping the purge does it for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I replaced the perge valve with an Mopar one and cleared the code. A few days of driving the engine light came back on today and the error is reading - - - - - Done. Does the onboard computer hold error codes and that's why this is on or is it something else.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are you using the dash 'code reader' or a external obd II reader? I've never seen ----- before so im guessing dash, i think you might need a real code reader to see what its cranky about now. Most autoparts stores will read codes for free although i think its worth getting a CEL/ABS reader as most of the time the shops wont read ABS codes and i hate paying the dealer to tell me which ABS sensor is dead. I have a old 'Innova 3040c' and im happy with it but there are lots out there, you might find a better option.

Yes the computer does store historical codes but non-active codes should not trigger the CEL (or ABS) lights to come on, it has to be an active 'you have a problem' code.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I had a P0441 last year in my '16. I had it fixed under warranty.

It was a bad connection. The hose from the purge valve came off where it connects to the intake manifold. They used a smoke generator to find it. ( See the write-up below).

As timp suggests, you've probably got a leak somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine has throw this code or gascap since new and its only when the temp gets cold or hot. Its crazy. I reset it and wont see it again until summer or winter. I literally just had this on my 12 yesterday morning and it was about 30 out. Reset and said goodbye until the next time.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just to add...

When I first got the P0441, I reset it, crossed my fingers and kept driving. It took 2 months for it to return. One thing I noticed during that time is that when I scanned the I/M monitors, the EVAP test would never complete.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Due to old age and forgetfullness, I have left 3 gas caps off and driven over 200 miles without it and never threw a code. This is on a '14 JK or '14 JKU.

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK so you have 1 permanent code, that means something happened (po441) and the computer will 'hold on' to it until its sure it doesnt come back. EG make it so you cant clear a code just to get past inspection without fixing the problem. Most permanent codes i have seen clear after a restart and 50 miles of travel without the error reoccurring but i dont know if / where there is a table of codes with reset times. 441 might be more or less.

If you had no light and then it popped up it means the problem happened again but might not be happening right now (only leaks when you hit a good bump or something). In other words, the purge valve didnt solve your issue, keep hunting. Depending whats wrong / how intermittent this might clear and come back over the next week or might not clear because the issue happens once ever (made up numbers) 30 miles and the reset is at 50 (whatever).
sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts