Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have researched this thread throughout the forum, and replied to an old post days ago, but there isn't any activity on it. I'm wondering if anyone else has been thru what I think I'm about to go thru...
I got the p0704 code months ago, changed my filter and added several quarts of ATF, cleared the code and life was good. A month later I got the code and MIL again, so I had the tranny flushed with 24 quarts...my request was to flush it until it ran red. Code cleared and all good for several months, and then it appeared again. I am now looking at replacing the TCC solenoid in the valve body as that is a popular problem with the 42RLE's on YouTube. I can't help but wonder however if the torque converter needs replacing as well. If that's the case, I will have to send it out as I can't separate the tranny in my current situation. Is it safe to say that the lockout material is worn on the converter and the converter needs replacing as well as the solenoid at the same time? I know it's a guess at this time, but if anyone has any experience with this issue perhaps you can share? I am trying this in steps and hoping to avoid a rebuild. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I went through this exact problem 6 months ago, replaced the transmission and it was all good. I would highly recommend finding a reputable tranny shop in your area and paying them to diagnose, I was going to replace valve body and would have just wasted money.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Hi All,
I have researched this thread throughout the forum, and replied to an old post days ago, but there isn't any activity on it. I'm wondering if anyone else has been thru what I think I'm about to go thru...
I got the p0704 code months ago, changed my filter and added several quarts of ATF, cleared the code and life was good. A month later I got the code and MIL again, so I had the tranny flushed with 24 quarts...my request was to flush it until it ran red. Code cleared and all good for several months, and then it appeared again. I am now looking at replacing the TCC solenoid in the valve body as that is a popular problem with the 42RLE's on YouTube. I can't help but wonder however if the torque converter needs replacing as well. If that's the case, I will have to send it out as I can't separate the tranny in my current situation. Is it safe to say that the lockout material is worn on the converter and the converter needs replacing as well as the solenoid at the same time? I know it's a guess at this time, but if anyone has any experience with this issue perhaps you can share? I am trying this in steps and hoping to avoid a rebuild. Thanks!
The Tcc solenoid and the T converter are 2 completely different repair jobs so why confuse and complicate the issue. Just replace the solenoid for the moment and see how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went through this exact problem 6 months ago, replaced the transmission and it was all good. I would highly recommend finding a reputable tranny shop in your area and paying them to diagnose, I was going to replace valve body and would have just wasted money.
I think having a smart tech diagnose it is the way to go. Even if I opted to do the work, the pros have real scanners that monitor it while driving and the expertise (hopefully) to correctly identify it. Why did you replace the tranny? It could have been a few things, the Solenoid for one..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Tcc solenoid and the T converter are 2 completely different repair jobs so why confuse and complicate the issue. Just replace the solenoid for the moment and see how it goes.
Correct. The solenoid doesn't require separating the tranny from the engine to replace it, as it's in the valve body, whereas the converter does require it. I'm not trying to confuse anyone. Correct diagnosis saves shade-tree parts changing, and prevents further damage. Here too is the possibility that you could get a brand new bad solenoid and not even know it. So, seeing how it goes really isn't my idea of research, rather it's swapping out parts and waiting to see if you got it right. Is that complicated?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Correct. The solenoid doesn't require separating the tranny from the engine to replace it, as it's in the valve body, whereas the converter does require it. I'm not trying to confuse anyone. Correct diagnosis saves shade-tree parts changing, and prevents further damage. Here too is the possibility that you could get a brand new bad solenoid and not even know it. So, seeing how it goes really isn't my idea of research, rather it's swapping out parts and waiting to see if you got it right. Is that complicated?
The "correct" diagnosis as defined by the code P0740 is:
The transmission control module has detected a fault with the circuit that operates the torque converter clutch solenoid.

Read more at: P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction DTC
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
So attend to the "CIRCUIT" first and see how it goes. One step at a time.
Now If the torque converter was involved in the same step as changing out the solenoid, and/or there was burnt smelly oil involved I would sure consider doing it all at the same time, but changing out the converter is a whole different ballgame (a pain in the ass, time consuming one at that).... one which can be started LATER if need be.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
The "correct" diagnosis as defined by the code P0740 is:

So attend to the "CIRCUIT" first and see how it goes. One step at a time.
Now If the torque converter was involved in the same step as changing out the solenoid, and/or there was burnt smelly oil involved I would sure consider doing it all at the same time, but changing out the converter is a whole different ballgame (a pain in the ass, time consuming one at that).... one which can be started LATER if need be.
Can you verify what code you are getting? The thread was started saying a P0704, which I can not find in my service data for a 2011 JKU. The quote from Bob is a P0740 which is a "P0740-TCC Out Of Range" for a 2011 JKU.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Can you verify what code you are getting? The thread was started saying a P0704, which I can not find in my service data for a 2011 JKU. The quote from Bob is a P0740 which is a "P0740-TCC Out Of Range" for a 2011 JKU.
Sorry... my fault. I reversed the numbers. I assumed he meant P0740

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
In my case the tranny was bad, there was a tsb about 2013 and the "permanent PO740 error. The place in Cleveland that did the work, actually tried rebuilding mine twice before finally installing a new tranny to fix the problem.
I think having a smart tech diagnose it is the way to go. Even if I opted to do the work, the pros have real scanners that monitor it while driving and the expertise (hopefully) to correctly identify it. Why did you replace the tranny? It could have been a few things, the Solenoid for one..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts