Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pls write, call, email, fax your state reps to support HB 976 amending and clarifying the vehicle code to allow Wranglers to drive doorless.

Most local law enforcement officers and state police are not citing people for driving doorless yet, but more and more Jeepers across the state are being cited. Help the folks in those areas have the same rights as a UPS driver.

Takes less than 5 min.

PA Legislature -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
So I need a permission slip from mom/dad (insurance) stating I can drive doorless?

Not sure I like where that is heading. We should be permitted or not permitted, I should not have to produce a permission slip that only states I let my insurance company know that my jeep may be doorless sometimes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, but it is just a negotiations technique. How about writing to your state legislator about supporting a modified version of the bill or just making it legal?

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I agree, but it is just a negotiations technique. How about writing to your state legislator about supporting a modified version of the bill or just making it legal?

Yep. Was already working on my draft letter. Should probably provide the site to find who that is and how to contact them for people (like me) that don't know much about politics.

Find Your Legislator - PA General Assembly

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
While I prefer to do things myself, if you really want to assist in getting the most people to write as possible, I'd also suggest writing up a draft letter, linking them to the site I did above, and asking them to copy/paste and modify the letter as needed.

Dear Mr./Ms./Mrs. So-and-So,

I am writing to request your support in House Bill No. 976. Add any additional thoughts/comments here.

Thank you for your support,

Your Name Here

Again, I'm not very good at writing either or expressing what I want, so I know if we provide as much to assist in people getting messages out, the more we can get.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Here is what I ended up sending:

Mr. XXXXX,

I am writing to request your support in House Bill No. 976. As a Jeep owner, the laws on driving without doors are confusing and interpretation is often left to the law enforcement officer. I believe House Bill 976 would help assist in clearing up that confusion.

I would like to state that while I don't necessarily agree with needing a note from my insurance company stating that I've alerted them to the fact that I may or may not drive my jeep in a way that is legal, I do believe the law needs clarification on whether or not a jeep can be driven doorless legally.

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I know RubiconSS has a thread to garner support for the Bill and he has been working hard. The only thing I don't like about the Bill is it will still permit the police to initiate a contact stop to verify you have your letter. I don't want to be stopped.
If they are going to have acknowledgement requirement in the Bill, it should state that that in order to stop a vehicle, there has to be a separate traffic violation

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know RubiconSS has a thread to garner support for the Bill and he has been working hard. The only thing I don't like about the Bill is it will still permit the police to initiate a contact stop to verify you have your letter. I don't want to be stopped.

If they are going to have acknowledgement requirement in the Bill, it should state that that in order to stop a vehicle, there has to be a separate traffic violation

I'm not a lawyer, but this doesn't law enforcement the right to stop you if don't have doors to check for insurance. If that was the case, we would be getting stopped just to check for a valid license or insurance.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I would venture to guess because you cannot visually identify if someone does not have a license or insurance and just stop them to inquire.

However, if you are going down the road naked, which is legal only if you have an acknowledgement letter, that could be reason to get stopped.

If the law was passed, I would not even contact my insurer.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I agree with Orangejeep1 in that I highly doubt bill would give LEOs the right to pull you over just so they can check if you have your permission slip. They can't pull you over to check if you have a valid driver's license without some other reason. So if driving doorless is legal, they aren't going to spend their time pulling you over only to check your papers.

Now if you give them another reason: Expired stickers, swerving, being a douche. Then maybe they might (or make up one because their quota is low).

I still don't like it as written in the Bill because it's just nonsense. it should be legal or not. We shouldn't need to contact our insurance company about it and notify them. That's just BS. I might drive around doorless about 10% of the time, and I have to let them know?

Reactions: Sooner95

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry it has taken be so long to post this. Here is a draft similar to what I sent my Representative.

Dear Rep. XXXX,

I am writing this letter to ask you to support HB 976. Jeep Wranglers are unique vehicles in that the doors are not a structural part of the vehicle and the doors are removable by design. Many Pennsylvanians drive their Wranglers without doors, not too much different than motorcyclists and UPS drivers, and do not realize that they are technically violating the vehicle code. If the doors slid back like on UPS trucks, there would be no violation. However, some local law enforcement personnel are targeting and ticketing citizens for driving their Wrangler without doors because it cannot pass inspection without doors. Pennsylvania has a long history of supporting personal freedom and HB 976 ensures that the personal liberty of a few Pennsylvanians will not be infringed because of a technicality in our vehicle code.

You can find our representative by clicking this link Find Your Legislator - PA General Assembly

·
Registered
396 Posts
Orangejeep1 - I used your format and added that just today I was pulled over in Robinson Township simply for driving doorless. The officer told me that he went to a "special inspection class" where they informed the officers about the illegalities of doorless Jeeps and that "not all officers know about it".

First time in four years of owning my Jeep that I've been pulled over for driving doorless. EVERYBODY needs to contact their representative on this matter as it was a ridiculous reason to be pulled over. I was not given a ticket.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Orangejeep1 - I used your format and added that just today I was pulled over in Robinson Township simply for driving doorless. The officer told me that he went to a "special inspection class" where they informed the officers about the illegalities of doorless Jeeps and that "not all officers know about it".

First time in four years of owning my Jeep that I've been pulled over for driving doorless. EVERYBODY needs to contact their representative on this matter as it was a ridiculous reason to be pulled over. I was not given a ticket.

That's depressing. I'm in Robinson frequently. So that is Upper St. Clair, Robinson Twp., and Monroeville in Allegheny County alone.

Not to mention Wilkes Barre out east. Maybe we should make another thread on where to stay clear of.

Please write your elected officials now!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I got the following response today.

Dear Mr. Craft

HB 976 is in the transportation committee with no current movement. I have read the bill and spoken to its sponsor Rep Masser and see the need for clarity. If the bill comes out of committee I will support it on the floor.

State Legislator
PA House of Representatives

Reactions: Sooner95

·
Registered
396 Posts
That's depressing. I'm in Robinson frequently. So that is Upper St. Clair, Robinson Twp., and Monroeville in Allegheny County alone.

Not to mention Wilkes Barre out east. Maybe we should make another thread on where to stay clear of.

Please write your elected officials now!

Sorry, man. I have lived in Robinson area for the entirety of time I've had my Jeep. The doors are off from May through October (sometimes longer) for the past four years. I've driven past dozens (if not hundreds) of police in that time period with no problem.

I kept the doors off for the past few days but put them back on today. I'm just paranoid now that I can't even drive in my own neighborhood without worrying about getting pulled over. A couple of times a month, I go out to dinner and have a couple of drinks and I just don't need the hassle of being pulled over for having no doors and somehow getting a DUI in the process. Could be driving perfectly and still be pulled over for no good reason.

In my particular case, I firmly believe I'm safer with the doors off due to having unobstructed views and the fact that I drive slower and more carefully with the doors off. With the ambiguity in the law presently it simply presents too much opportunity for police to harass otherwise law-abiding individuals when they've got nothing better to do.

Sucks because one of the main reasons I bought the Jeep was to drive naked when weather permits. Now, the bill appears to be dead and the government takes another simple pleasure away from the common man.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone in the JK forum pointed out that we should really be calling the offices to try to get movement on the bill. Calls will take their office more time to respond to and the squeaky wheel... I'm calling my state rep's office tomorrow to find out when the bill is going to be debated. Here is a list of the transportation committee members. House Transportation Committee - PA House of Representatives

John Taylor is the chair out of Philadelphia. If you live in his district, please call ASAP. As chair, I believe he decides if/ when a bill gets debated/ voted on in the committee. It can't go before the full house unless it is voted on at the committee level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts