Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched high and low for a solution to my problem and couldn't find one. So now that I have figured it out, I wanted to post here for future people that may be searching.

I bought a Sony XAV-AX5000 after market stereo head until for my 2015 JKU. But this might apply to any other head unit. In order to retain steering wheel control button functionality according to Crutchfield I also bought a PAC RP4-CH11. I paid for the Crutchfield ReadyHarness service which makes all the wiring a beauty.

After receiving the stereo and wiring harness and hooking everything up, the head unit was receiving no power. I call Crutchfield support and they explained that the yellow wire that comes into the PAC unit is the constant power. According to my multimeter, it was bringing in 12V. The red wire next to it is supposed to carry 12V back out when the car is running or on ACC. That red wire takes 12V to the head unit. Problem is that wire was dead coming out of the PAC. Multimeter was not reading any voltage. Crutchfield thought I had a faulty PAC and so they sent me a new one. New one arrived and exact same problem.

The next Crutchfield tech concluded that for whatever reason, this version of the PAC or this firmware (1.5.4.5) must not be taking the CAN-Bus signal from my JKU and interpreting it correctly to turn the Accessory power on and sending it back out the red wire and to the Stereo. So he suggested we take the red wire from the Sony Unit and tap it into some other Accessory power line. After analyzing my options, I tested the Cigarette lighter to ensure that it is only powered off accessory (and not constant) and I did a T-Tap off of it and spliced that into the Sony Accessory power wire (red).

I hooked everything back up and low and behold the XAV-AX5000 works great! I was worried that maybe the PAC wouldn't interpret other CAN-Bus features but everything else works. All my steering wheel buttons work and so does my autodetect of reverse for my backup camera. I am really happy now and the Sony XAV-AX5000 is a great unit that looks awesome in the Jeep

This was a huge sigh of relief for me. If you are using a PAC unit or PAC RP4-CH11 specifically...and if you are not getting power to the stereo, it may be this problem. Test the yellow and red line at the PAC. If the yellow is hot and the red is not (when your key is on), then find another way to get accessory power to your stereo.

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
Or get a pac unit that works properly
You paid for it so you should expect it to work

Is the illumination feature which also comes over can bus working properly or it new radio always on same illumination day or night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the problem is I tried two PAC units and neither of them worked. And there is supposedly only one model compatible with my JKU. So my choice was abandon the entire project, abandon the PAC (and lose steering wheel control integration) or do what I did. The latter was also Crutchfield's suggestion.

I do plan to contact PAC and share this with them in the hope that maybe they have a better solution or a firmware fix.

I have not checked on the illumination feature. I will look at that today in various day/night settings and report back.

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
You could kludge that too by running a wire from a park light power wire to the illumination wire on the new head unit

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Illumination works. Nice and bright without headlights on. Dims a good amount when headlights are turned on. So, thus far the only feature that hasn't appeared to work with the PAC RP4-CH11 on my 2015 JKU was the accessory power from PAC to Stereo. The Crutchfield tech support (who were really awesome) said they've seen this a few times with various combinations of PAC and Vehicle CAN-Bus.

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
Good that the amps that run the head unit come over bat wire and acc wire is minimal amp draw sensor wire

I assume you checked pac site for updated software versions

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. 1.5.4.5 is the latest and it hasn't been updated since May, 2018. But great idea.

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
Then you did all you could and it is working

CAN bus radios are an interesting and sometimes frustrating system

Just for fun I created a kludge of junkyard parts to make can bus radios work on bench top

One for the early can ref/RAQ/RAK like PT and 04-06 Durango and 05-07 Grand Cherokee
One for low can like avenger/charger/Sebring
One for HI can like minivan and wrangler and nitro Liberty

But can is ever evolving

·
Registered
1 Posts
@JeepInIndy thanks so much for this post! I am tackling the exact same problem today with the Pac RP4-CH11 and Alpine iLX-W650 (the Sony was my second choice). It worked perfectly fine with the Jensen I just took out (did their ready-harness as well!), but then I wired up the Alpine harness and there's no power. 90% sure all my connections are good.

When you plugged your Pac into the vehicle harness, before tapping the other power, did you get the red LED light? Haven't tested voltage yet, but I'm not getting that. The manual says:
  1. Turn the ignition on. The LED on the interface will turn on and the +12v accessory wire will turn on.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,899 Posts
@JeepInIndy thanks so much for this post! I am tackling the exact same problem today with the Pac RP4-CH11 and Alpine iLX-W650 (the Sony was my second choice). It worked perfectly fine with the Jensen I just took out (did their ready-harness as well!), but then I wired up the Alpine harness and there's no power. 90% sure all my connections are good.

When you plugged your Pac into the vehicle harness, before tapping the other power, did you get the red LED light? Haven't tested voltage yet, but I'm not getting that. The manual says:
  1. Turn the ignition on. The LED on the interface will turn on and the +12v accessory wire will turn on.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts

I’d recommend double checking your connections and make sure to change the manufacturer selection switch to the appropriate setting BEFORE applying power to the PAC unit..I just did the opposite of you (Alpine to Jensen) and ran into this issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts