Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Jeepers,
Is packing for a wheeling trip similar to packing for a camping trip? I have a ton of experince backpacking (Eagle Scout) so I am more concerend as to what kinds of things i should be packing. me and a buddy of mine are going to the mojave desert early may, what should i be packing (besides food and water for a week). would you recomend packing a firearm or two just in case? Also what should go into a recovery kit? obviously gloves and a strap, but what else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
mmm desert

Sand, rocks, stickery plants and lizzards.

Do you own a winch? Maybe a shovel and something to air down and refill your tires with. Also a first aid kit. Communications in the desert is spotty at best.
A 2m ham radio would be handy. Since you are an eagle scout I wont go into the survival scenarios.. Out in the sand a winch anchor or some sand ladders come in handy. bug spray, sun screen, and a frisbee. oh, and a flashlight with extra batteries.

Can you even own a firearm in CA??

·
Registered
907 Posts
A winch and a land anchor. The best winch is worthless without something to hook onto! Desert is hard to find something to winch from. You are going with another vehicle so that lessens the danger a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmm desert

Sand, rocks, stickery plants and lizzards.

Do you own a winch? Maybe a shovel and something to air down and refill your tires with. Also a first aid kit. Communications in the desert is spotty at best.
A 2m ham radio would be handy. Since you are an eagle scout I wont go into the survival scenarios.. Out in the sand a winch anchor or some sand ladders come in handy. bug spray, sun screen, and a frisbee. oh, and a flashlight with extra batteries.

Can you even own a firearm in CA??
I do have a winch and a air-down kit. ive got my EMT licence so first aid kit is fully stocked and ready to go. I dont have a CB or Ham Radio (next on my list of things to get). I have a brand new glock 19 and a R700 rifle in .30-06...i supose worst case senarion is we have to walk out of desert without jeep...jee that sounds terrible.

·
Registered
571 Posts
lol... The first thing you think of is bringing guns!!! WoW!

Honest to god... I'm camping in the Middle East this weekend & my first thought is 'how do I keep my Coronas cold'...
Have you driven around L.A. lately? I don't even stop at red lights when driving through some parts of downtown anymore! :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you driven around L.A. lately? I don't even stop at red lights when driving through some parts of downtown anymore! :eek:
That's extreme...

Anyways, heres what I'm bringing camping (essentials only)... Tyre deflators & air compressor; snatch rope & rated D rings; vhf/uhf walkie talkie; bluetooth speaker; solar charger; air mattress and blanket; lots of water; icebox of food; bottle of gin; 1 tray of coronas/person; an inflatable hoop for floating in the water beer in hand; good friends and a bit of craic

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Spot Gen 3. In worst case scenario will allow you to get emergency responders in there - snakebite, fire, rollover. Best money you will ever spend that you don't hope you have to use - other than a cage of course.

Fire extinguisher. Trash bags - pack it out. Snake gun.

Tire repair kit, brake cleaner and ratchet straps (in event you need to reseat a bead).

Your objective needs to be to keep at least one vehicle moving - you cannot possibly carry enough water to "walk out" of the desert. Unless maybe you are camping roadside.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Spot Gen 3. In worst case scenario will allow you to get emergency responders in there - snakebite, fire, rollover. Best money you will ever spend that you don't hope you have to use - other than a cage of course.
Wow...cool toy I mean tool! Cabela's has it for $75 right now!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Wow...cool toy I mean tool! Cabela's has it for $75 right now!
We were on a huge group run a while back. A girl developed heat stroke. This can kill you. She didn't have the hours it wouldve taken even our best rig and best driver to get her off the trail to a hospital.

Our recovery person used his Spot "911/SOS" button. Within less than 30 minutes when he pressed the button, a helicopter with medics was on the ground, loaded her up and already back in the air on the way to the hospital. This may have been the difference between life and death for her.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
We were on a huge group run a while back. A girl developed heat stroke. This can kill you. She didn't have the hours it wouldve taken even our best rig and best driver to get her off the trail to a hospital.

Our recovery person used his Spot "911/SOS" button. Within less than 30 minutes when he pressed the button, a helicopter with medics was on the ground, loaded her up and already back in the air on the way to the hospital. This may have been the difference between life and death for her.
That's incredible! I might go ahead an order one, but wait to subscribe to the service. $20 a month is a bit steep for something I won't need any time soon.

·
Registered
715 Posts

That's good to know. We carry a SPOT whenever we're outdoors,whether on the quads, boat, Jeeping, etc. Fortunately we've only used the "I'm okay" and tracking features. We've always wondered how well the SOS would work in an emergency. Heat injuries are very dangerous, hope the girl fully recovered!

John

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sidebar...

That's extreme...

Anyways, heres what I'm bringing camping (essentials only)... Tyre deflators & air compressor; snatch rope & rated D rings; vhf/uhf walkie talkie; bluetooth speaker; solar charger; air mattress and blanket; lots of water; icebox of food; bottle of gin; 1 tray of coronas/person; an inflatable hoop for floating in the water beer in hand; good friends and a bit of craic
Have to ask...

What country are you in where tubing will be an option, let alone a "good" idea?!? (the 3 I've been to over there...nope, wouldn't do it. And us Texans will float anything if there's a tube and beer involved! Oh, and for some reason we call them "TOOBS". Whatever, rhymes with boobs so I'm ok with it.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have to ask...

What country are you in where tubing will be an option, let alone a "good" idea?!? (the 3 I've been to over there...nope, wouldn't do it. And us Texans will float anything if there's a tube and beer involved! Oh, and for some reason we call them "TOOBS". Whatever, rhymes with boobs so I'm ok with it.)
Ha ha, the place we're going to this weekend is called Fujairah, it's on the Dubai/Oman border... Going to set up on the beach and chill in the sea.

I have a general camping rule, i like there to be water... Whether that's sea or a wadi... The tube is just to hold be upright as i relax in the sea.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Hello Jeepers,
Is packing for a wheeling trip similar to packing for a camping trip? I have a ton of experince backpacking (Eagle Scout) so I am more concerend as to what kinds of things i should be packing. me and a buddy of mine are going to the mojave desert early may, what should i be packing (besides food and water for a week). would you recomend packing a firearm or two just in case? Also what should go into a recovery kit? obviously gloves and a strap, but what else?

Thanks!
Where in the Mojave? I went to the old woman mountain area (Scanlon gulch)and the abandoned towns nearby (Amboy, Danby etc.) last June and it was great. Camped the last night in the hole in the wall campground which was amazing! I had my big knife but no firearms haha! My buddy had the SPOT device so we were covered in case we needed help in the first part of the trip. Can't add anymore than what others have mentioned but the SPOT device is something I would highly recommend. Have a good trip and post some photos when you get a chance!

·
Registered
423 Posts
On the Mojave, tire integrity should be your #1 concern; the rocks are brutal on tires. I went with E rated tires for this reason. Tire patch kit and plenty of extra plugs, small air compressor. Air down whenever you leave pavement; better ride and reduces chances of punctures.
If more than one vehicle is going, then you can probably do without a winch, but make sure you have long recovery straps and D rings. I've never had to use a winch on the Mojave or backcountry of Death Valley (but then I don't do the King of Hammers, either).
A real shovel (not one of those tiny folding types).
A good bottle jack and a couple of blocks of wood to set it on will get you out of most high-centered or flat tire repair situations (but I do carry a hi-lift jack, just in case)
Breaker bar and 1/2" socket set with at least 10-21mm sizes. If you break a U-joint or axle, I believe the axle nut is 35 mm.
Take a side-arm but leave the rifle at home; too hard to secure. In CA, pistols have to be carried in a locked box (which can be a cheap plastic box so long as it's locked- pistol can't be in the glove box or center console)
The suggestion of the small battery jumper is a good one. I have one and it's amazing how such a little box carries enough amps to jump a dead battery plus recharge your phone, etc.
If you still have the stock plastic rear bumper, it can easily be converted into a water tank to carry an additional 7.5 gals of water for use around the camp: Water tank in the stock bumper

1 - 20 of 27 Posts