Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JK is a 2013 orange crush and I live in the salt belt.
The only way to keep the JK clean is auto car washes when its
below freezing.
I buy monthly passes to out local car wash so I can try to keep the salt off.
Still the pain on the door hinges is bubbling.
Anyone able to get Jeep to cover this under warranty?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Sorry to hear it, I usually wash mine once a week in the winter months, plus I park it in a garage regularly (to avoid morning dew buildup - moisture and salt aren't a good thing) hoping this issue doesn't pop up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spraying hinges with PB blaster or using any type of penetrating oil could cause paint or clear coat to bubble . does Jeep use water borne paint?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's galvanic corrosion ( two different metals in contact with each other) as they don't have a gasket between the hinge and door on any of the years prior to 15 or there abouts. All the new Wranglers now have a gasket inbetween which will prevent this issue.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Actually it has nothing to do with dissimilar metals but rather improper metal prep (priming) . The bubbling starts in the center of the hinges and not at the body. My hinges were repainted properly in 2010 and are still perfect even though they spend the winter covered in road salt. My hinges have no rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My hinges have no gasket but they do have "something" on them that seems to be coming apart.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
2012 unlimited crush. Hood hinges and door hinges bubbling. Talked to dealer a number of times. Was told not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2012 JKU, dealer sent it to body shop for all door hinges a couple months ago no problem. They said we have a 5 year warranty for corrosion. My repainted hinges look good for now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Actually it has nothing to do with dissimilar metals but rather improper metal prep (priming) . The bubbling starts in the center of the hinges and not at the body. My hinges were repainted properly in 2010 and are still perfect even though they spend the winter covered in road salt. My hinges have no rubber gaskets.
It has everything to do with galvanic corrosion and is a very well known issue with the Jk. My hinges were bubbled on the side right at the seam where the door meets the hinge and worked it's way to the top. I will agree however that the prepping of that area from the factory is far less than perfect.

Also forgot to mention that I repaired mine last summer and when I took them off they had no rust on the bottom like you'd get from bare metal becoming wet but rather just paint bubbles working their way from the edge of the hinge to the top/surface area which tells me it's a reaction from the two metals coming in contact with each other and not a lack of paint/primer allowing them to rust.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
When they repaint the hinges do they remove them and install a gasket or just sand them down and paint them on the door.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a 2015 and found bubbling on one hinge. They fixed it under warranty , no problem. They are aware of the issue.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hmmmmm wonder if I can get Jeep to cover my 2013 True Blue JKU under corrosion warranty? paint is bubbling on at least 1 hinge on every door. Seems to be a very common issue.

O_E

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had one hinge replaced under warranty with no issues. Its a 2014. Asked the dealer if the repair would include a gasket and he didn't have any idea about it. So now i've got a couple more bubbling up.

My question, has anyone gotten the repair and also had the gaskets replaced?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
No gaskets on mine. Where mine started to bubble there was no other metal around. The hinges are cast aluminum I've been told. They replaced my hinges under warranty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
2013 with 40k miles. Just noticed bubbling on the hinges. Do you guys think I could get this covered even though we're out of the factory warranty? Do I just take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
76 Posts
2013 with 40k miles. Just noticed bubbling on the hinges. Do you guys think I could get this covered even though we're out of the factory warranty? Do I just take it to a dealer?
My dealer told me it was covered under the corrosion/rust warranty when they fixed mine, so you should still be covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 jku. Have about 25k miles on it. I have owned it for a little over a year and a half. Purchased brand new and just discovered 3 out of the 4 door hinges starting to bubble. I like in the rust belt and will definitely be taking a trip to the dealer soon. I'll definitely update this.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Now that you mention it....mine are bubbling! FML

'12 JKUS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts