Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! As far as the body of my Jeep goes, theres very little (if any) rust. The rust that is there is mainly surface rust on my door hinges and back hatch hinges. I'd like to just change all to black, however when looking online, it seems like it'll cost a fortune to replace every hinge. Am I better off just sanding my current hinges and spray painting them?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sand and paint. I took mine off and sand blasted then and painted them. Its a lot cheeper and u will appreciate it a lot more. Nothings better then doing it urself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree, parts can be outrageously overpriced and I'm not sure they are as good as oem. I've sandblasted primed with a rust inhibitor then sprayed either with spray bomb or used a polyurethane nasson paint shot thru an inexpensive touchup paint gun. turned out much better than I thought. It's a lot more fun this way IMHO..Driller

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool! I'll try and paint them myself. Anyone know the size of the socket I'll need to remove them by chance? I'll have to by one

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nas.a7x said:
I would recomend getting a torxs set u will need many over time, sorry I don't know the size off hand.
Agreed. For this project though I was just going to use my old man's set the next time I drive home for a visit. He has a set, but I know he doesn't have the right size.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nas.a7x said:
I would recomend getting a torxs set u will need many over time, sorry I don't know the size off hand.
I agree ! I bought a torx set last week and I've already used it a good bit...and yes on painting/fixing things yourself,much more satisfying :) I made myself some "new" door handles out of a black strap today !

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
YJ1818 said:
I agree ! I bought a torx set last week and I've already used it a good bit...and yes on painting/fixing things yourself,much more satisfying :) I made myself some "new" door handles out of a black strap today !
Got any pics of those door handles sounds interesting

·
Registered
323 Posts
You'll need the set....get them at Harbor Freight for like $10. You're gonna need em all at one time or another! Heck...it will surely pay for itself in just time and gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts