Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering how much it would normally cost to do a full (quality) paint job on an unlimited, and more importantly, if the custom paint job will actually last the life of the vehicle. I'm really bent on driving a Cosmos blue Jeep, and there's slim pickings here in ON, Canada. Been searching for a few months already. I feel like even if I do find one, it won't be equipped the way I want it, so better to get something equipped the way I want it and change the paint there after.
I've been quoted around 2-3k in some places, but again, will it last?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Why don't you just order what you want. A quality (factory quality...not show quality) is going to require the interior to be pulled out and engine bay emptied = mega labor costs. I am thinking that $2-3K does not equate to a quality paint job. It will last sure, but why go through all that expense when you could just order one and get exactly what you want in the color you want.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Most auto repainting does not include engine bay painting and usually unseen areas. A Wrangler has more exposed and painted interior sheet metal than any other car/truck/SUV I can think of, so the interior is going to have to be disassembled/masked to be painted.

If you have the Wrangler repainted a different than original color and don't go all the way, people are going to assume that the vehicle was damaged and this can hurt re-sale or trade in values. People will also wonder about the quality of the auto refinisher as well.

It's your cash and decision, but I'd either travel to find the Cosmos Blue or order it, if it is still available.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why don't you just order what you want. A quality (factory quality...not show quality) is going to require the interior to be pulled out and engine bay emptied = mega labor costs. I am thinking that $2-3K does not equate to a quality paint job. It will last sure, but why go through all that expense when you could just order one and get exactly what you want in the color you want.
Perhaps because the colour is no longer available?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
One more thing, a quality auto repaint can outlast and be superior to a factory original paint finish, depending on the quality of the prep work, the equipment used, the paint quality, the drying technique, and most of all - the skill of the technician painting the vehicle.

Two thousand sounds low, three thousand + sounds about right.

The better you demand, the more it costs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing, a quality auto repaint can outlast and be superior to a factory original paint finish, depending on the quality of the prep work, the equipment used, the paint quality, the drying technique, and most of all - the skill of the technician painting the vehicle.

Two thousand sounds low, three thousand + sounds about right.

The better you demand, the more it costs.
Well, the most I'm able to swallow is 5k, and I know it seems silly for just a paint change, but in my eyes, it's the ultimate cosmetic mod. I'm glad to hear that a quality custom paint job can outlast a factory paint job.
And the tips on what to look for are appreciated. I'll make sure I get a new quote will all of the above in mind.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Don't do it.

You'll kill the resale value and the odds it's actually going to be factory quality are almost zero. Factory paint is dipped, not sprayed. And it's dipped prior to adding accessories and trim, not after taping that stuff off.

And a JKU adds difficulty with all the exposed metal inside that most vehicles don't have.

I think $5k easy. More like $6k. And it won't be factory level--I bet you'll have trouble even finding a place that would commit to such a quality standard in writing.

Pick a different color and spend $5k on other mods. JMHO.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm assuming the Cosmos is a retired color meaning you can't order it?

I don't have a clue about the expense to paint but IMHO I wouldn't do it either. If you are dead set on the color, willing to spend $5k additional to get it, and you can't order from the factory have you thought about seeking out a great used one?

If you were offering $2-3k over market value to someone who had what you wanted I'm sure you'd find someone that wasn't so married to the color that they wouldn't part with it for a premium.

Heck....I bet if you offered the dealer the extra incentive of $2-3k over asking price to find you the color they'd work extra hard to find it at a dealer somewhere out there. I'm not sure if there is an issue importing one from the US but if there isn't they are out there.

I found 4 of them on Autotrader within 2 minutes of looking. Here is one:

New 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (Blue Car) | Serving nearby Moore, Norman & Oklahoma City Oklahoma | Fowler Dodge

·
Registered
597 Posts
MTH said:
Don't do it.

You'll kill the resale value and the odds it's actually going to be factory quality are almost zero. Factory paint is dipped, not sprayed. And it's dipped prior to adding accessories and trim, not after taping that stuff off.

And a JKU adds difficulty with all the exposed metal inside that most vehicles don't have.

I think $5k easy. More like $6k. And it won't be factory level--I bet you'll have trouble even finding a place that would commit to such a quality standard in writing.

Pick a different color and spend $5k on other mods. JMHO.
You sure about the color paint being dipped? I have seen many assembly lines with robot sprayers. I have seen primer dips.
If you go to a quality paint shop, you will get a great durable finish, baked on!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I own a bodyshop that does color swaps all the time. For a good job we gut the car. Glass out, all trim off. All parts are edged(paint the inside) rehung where need be and than the exterior is sprayed. You can expect to pay $4500-$5000 for a good quality job. One thing I always recommend when doing a color swap, pick a color not offerred by the factory.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Cosmos is the only way to roll :punk: :thumb:

But I agree with the guy above me to an extent. How about Audi's Nogaro blue?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Options to consider:
1) Ever think of getting it Vinyl wrapped instead, I heard vinyl wrapping lasts 10 years and when you ready to sell you can take it off pretty easily. (~2k)

2) Drive down to the states... I would think rather than spend 5-6k on repainting a rig, might be also easier to sell it and get a newer one in the color you like and put the 5k towards that?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Get a wrap. Way cheaper and not permanent. Plus when someone takes the whole interior and engine out of a vehicle, they seldom go back together factory tight. Typically they end up with awful rattles and squeeks, wrong bolts in specific locations. We already know we don't need more squeeks and rattles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts