Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions wanted.

I want to paint my jeep. Currently it's red. I want flat black.. My question is this... Would you guys recommend having it professionally done, or DIY? I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I've seen a few vehicles that have turned out pretty well with spray painting..

Any suggestions as to what paint to use? Any of you guys done this? If so could you post some pics?

I've got a few rust spots to sand down . No holes, so I don't need to do any bondo or metal work. Basically just need to sand, primer, and spray.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CharTay said:
Did mine myself! Herculiner! Yes! Haha not sure if u want my amazing roll on paint job opinions!
That looks good.. I am open to all options my friend.. I've done the majority of the work on mine myself. I'm not ready to hand it over to some dude at maaco so he can do a shotty job and charge me 300$

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
All I really did was scratch up the old paint took my top of tapped off Windows and lights took brake lights off and rolled on Herculiner and since u want a flat black it is shiny for about 2 ish weeks but fades out and looks ok for 80 bucks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I rattlecan'd my Jeep. Took about 8 cans. I sanded and primered too. Easy touch up and holds up well. I can literally sand, tape, and repaint my Jeep in less than a day.

Black might be a bit harder to do since you will see streaks a lot easier. Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assumed that black would be easiest but you are right about the streaks.. To give you an idea I want to go from this...

View attachment 175180

To this...

View attachment 175181

I have also thought of doing green or white. How many cans of white paint do you think I'd need to properly cover the red?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
JACK3D said:
That looks good.. I am open to all options my friend.. I've done the majority of the work on mine myself. I'm not ready to hand it over to some dude at maaco so he can do a shotty job and charge me 300$
wsswzz

Hey $300 is a good price for a shotty paint job if ur thinking of doing it with spray paint anyway, it would probably last longer. I plan on painting mine satin black and doing it with actual auto paint at home in my garage. By the time you buy enough decent spray paint you can get cheep auto paint that will work much better then any spray paint jobs I've seen. I know Dupont has an auto paint that is pre mixed so you just pour it in the gun and spray. I think its also waterbased so you won't get as bad fumes.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Nas.a7x said:
wsswzz

Hey $300 is a good price for a shotty paint job if ur thinking of doing it with spray paint anyway, it would probably last longer. I plan on painting mine satin black and doing it with actual auto paint at home in my garage. By the time you buy enough decent spray paint you can get cheep auto paint that will work much better then any spray paint jobs I've seen. I know Dupont has an auto paint that is pre mixed so you just pour it in the gun and spray. I think its also waterbased so you won't get as bad fumes.
That is what I would do.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If your set on doing it yourself don't skimp on paint. Don't just get the $.96 cans. It will look like crap. Get the wheel paint. I think it's duplacolor or something like that. It floats out well and dries slow to prevent streaking and make an even coat. GL and don't forget to do your jambs!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have also thought of doing green or white. How many cans of white paint do you think I'd need to properly cover the red?[/QUOTE]

Prim it with white or light gray primer. If you want it glossy you're going to have to clear it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sinepome said:
If your set on doing it yourself don't skimp on paint. Don't just get the $.96 cans. It will look like crap. Get the wheel paint. I think it's duplacolor or something like that. It floats out well and dries slow to prevent streaking and make an even coat. GL and don't forget to do your jambs!
If I do it myself, I don't plan on buying cheap paint. Id definitely go with the higher end paint. I enjoy doing work on it myself. Just not sure what the best paint to get would be.

·
Registered
427 Posts

This is what I used. Total cost was under $100 for everything I used. If you plan on wheeling at all, this is the best bet IMO. It will look good as long as you prep right. I'd never spend the money to have a pro paint my Jeep knowing what I was going to use it for.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I believe everyone should do as they please with their stuff but if you paint that jeep with rattle cans you are going to hurt its value

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
harleydragon said:
I believe everyone should do as they please with their stuff but if you paint that jeep with rattle cans you are going to hurt its value
Even if I am using high quality spray paint, or even auto paint out of a paint gun? I'm no professional, but it can't be too difficult to paint my ride. By far the easiest vehicle I've ever worked on in every other way..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Even if I am using high quality spray paint, or even auto paint out of a paint gun? I'm no professional, but it can't be too difficult to paint my ride. By far the easiest vehicle I've ever worked on in every other way..[/QUOT
this is just my opinion which doesn't make it gospel ,but aerosol will be awful thin even if you put several coats and will scratch off very easy..if you use a gun it will hold up much better simply because it will be thicker..if you use auto paint in the gun then it will have hardner which will make it hold up even better..no reason that you can't do it yourself though

·
Registered
642 Posts
I know in Edmonton where I live that there is a place where u can use their equipment but do it yourself. You can buy paint from them, or bring your own in. But they provide a spray booth, gun, etc....you can prep there or you can Oreo at home then just touch it up again before you spray.

Kinda a cool option....might be worth looking into where you live.

Bryce

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I know in Edmonton where I live that there is a place where u can use their equipment but do it yourself. You can buy paint from them, or bring your own in. But they provide a spray booth, gun, etc....you can prep there or you can Oreo at home then just touch it up again before you spray.

Kinda a cool option....might be worth looking into where you live.

Bryce
yeah,when I was in the navy they had a booth on base like that....of course this was in the real navy,when ships were wood and men were steel...moby dick was still a minnow...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts