Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

New member...patiently waiting for my factory order Anvil JKU.

I also purchased a set of half doors that need to be painted. When I spoke to a reputable body guy he said it's going to be difficult to match the paint on the doors to the body without actually fading the paint into the body. Apparently there's many variations to the paint and obtaining an exact match is going to be really difficult. WTF???

Is this true?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's really not that difficult. The doors are completely separate panels from the body so they have a gap between them and the body panels. That gap is more than sufficient to do a close enough match and visually it will appear the same unless you really want to find differences. This is why good paint shops always insist on painting complete body panels as opposed to just sections of them. Metallic colors like silver seem to be more difficult to match but the Jeep Anvil is not metallic.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have the PDS MOPAR touch up paint. I will say it doesnt blend super well and can easily be seen. But, from far away its difficult to tell.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had doors painted for my TJ and it was that weird purple color jeep had. They had no problem matching it up and I never noticed any difference.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
If you are matching the doors to a brand new Jeep it shouldn't need "blended". (The paint on your ordered Jeep will be less than a month old)

Anvil paint is a solid color, if you had one of the other "metallic" or "pearl" paints that might be a different story.

Just have the doors painted and don't worry about.

·
Registered
628 Posts
A good paint shop or body shop supply will have a spectrophotometer that can read the color if you're really anal about it and will come up with a match. On a new vehicle I wouldn't worry about it too much since you're just painting doors with a gap around like others have said. Non metallic like Anvil should be an easy match.
When I was restoring vehicles, I was always taking parts into the paint store to have the color read and matched.

Bob

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes it is true, and the body shop is just trying to make sure you understand. By blending or fading the paint it will look like factory, to do otherwise can leave room for complaints from you.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Body shop did my half doors on my copperhead pearl. They gave me the same warning and made me sign off on the "shade" I was happy with. I was anxious for a few days, but they turned out effin' beautiful. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Youre never going to be able to match the factory paint 100%...I don't care what kind of technology you think you might have. Blending is the only way to be 100% satisfied with the work. Spend the extra money and do it right.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Youre never going to be able to match the factory paint 100%...I don't care what kind of technology you think you might have. Blending is the only way to be 100% satisfied with the work. Spend the extra money and do it right.
Are you suggesting he repaint his full doors and blend the rest? I really don't think that is necessary.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I thought we were talking about painting a new set of half doors....I didn't mention anything about full doors.
Ciarraikerry is saying that if he is going to blend the paint being put on the half doors into the surrounding body color to make it match, he would also need to repaint the full doors with that same paint, or they would then not match.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Ciarraikerry is saying that if he is going to blend the paint being put on the half doors into the surrounding body color to make it match, he would also need to repaint the full doors with that same paint, or they would then not match.
Exactly. He would have to paint both sets of doors then blend everything around it to "do it right." I would wager that anvil is much easier to match than my pearl coat was. You would be hard pressed to find someone that can pick out my half doors as being anything other than sprayed at the factory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts