Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new JKU and am not ready to upgrade tires/wheels yet, but I hate the silver stock wheels. Been thinking about black plastidip since it is temporary and can be removed, but then thought that I'll never want to go back to stock, so is plastidip really the way to go, or should I just spray paint them with a quality back paint? The plastidip seems very "rubbery", which is by design, but I would think they would be hard to keep clean on a wheel. Any thoughts on which way to go if you were never going to go back to the stock silver?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd definitely paint them with paint if you know for certain you'll never want to go back stock. Choose the finish you like best. I personally like satin black wheels best. I'm not a big fan of gloss back wheels, although they do look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I plastidipped a set of wheels on my TJ a long time ago and they looked great. It lasted two years with minimal touch up along the way. It wasn't hard to clean either. Different than painted wheels but not hard.

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock #HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I have a great dislike/distrust of plastidip. I suggest paint if you're 110% sure you want to stay non stock.

With painting, prep is key. Don't 1/2 ass the prep work.

I've seen some plastidip jobs that made me dislike it. A buddy got the luck of fixing a Ferrari which had been (poorly) plastidipped. It was a nightmare for him to get off so he could do a proper vinyl wrap. I wouldn't put that stuff on anything other than tool handles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I practiced on a piece of metal using the flat black plastidip and then using the metalizer. It gave it a nice gunmetal look, but my concern is that it feels tacky and seems like it would collect dirt/brake dust. I'm sure I don't like the stock look, so I'm not too concerned about going back, but I also don't want them to look like they've been painted. I agree prep is key. Decisions... decisions.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Give the Plasti Dip a try. I've used on various motorcycle parts and my previous Tundra wheels. Prep is easy. Wipe surface clean with alcohol or something equivalent and feather spray each coat lightly. I would suggest 2 coats as a minimum. The finished product will resemble a flat finish and will pick up grit easily but a blast of an air hose and light wash should do you right. If you get sick of it after a while, grow your nails a bit long and start peeling.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used self-etching primer, and then VHT high temp black wheel paint (it comes in a variety of colors and finishes).
That looks great! Exactly the look I'd like to have. I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to the silver, as long as they come out like yours and don't look like it was done by a rookie painter.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I used self-etching primer, and then VHT high temp black wheel paint (it comes in a variety of colors and finishes).
Yours came out really great, good job. Love the finish. Did you mask off the tires or take them off the rims entirely when painting?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine are plastdipped. I figured I'm going to upgrade to larger wheels at some point, and the beauty of plastidip is I can go back to stock at any moment. I've had zero problems with chipping or dirt or anything else. I think most people that have problems are the ones that don't follow the youtube directions carefully. It's all about layering the dip a little at a time and allowing to dry between coats. I think most people just try to rush it in 2-3 heavy coats. That won't work well. I put 5 layers on mine. Personally, I couldn't be happier with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
402 Posts
Yours came out really great, good job. Love the finish. Did you mask off the tires or take them off the rims entirely when painting?
Masked off the tires before applying the primer. Will do a touch up when the tires are rotated, and if the weights have to be moved next time they are balanced.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I tried Plastidip on wheels once. It looked like cheap crap. Also it is NOT easy to peel off. It took a couple weeks to get it off. I eventually bought some rustoleum in the same color and the wheels looked great.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The use of Plastidip is well documented over the last few years and provides excellent results if properly applied.

If you put on the proper number of layers at the proper thickness, it looks like powdercoating and peels right off.

If you applied just a few thin coats, then it looks like cheap crap and is very difficult to remove.

I used it on the silver mirrors on my Toyota FJ and it held up for 3+ years through all seasons and even automatic car washes. Looked factory.

I'd use Plasti-dip over spray paint hands down.

But I'd recommend powdercoating to the OP if you have no intent on returning to stock.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'd go with plasti dip.

I'd practice on something first, the whole process. Applying, removal.

I did mine, left the center cap silver and didn't cover the lugs.

I was surprised how well it cleaned up.

This was my first time using it. I didn't know what orange peel was back then. I actually liked the look of it though. I did it in too high of wind and too far off the rim.

I feel you run the risk of orange peel w paint. Much harder to correct. And you run the risk of drips/runs more.

If you put it on the right way it comes off easy. Seeing as how ur gonna upgrade anyway you don't need to take it off.

Reactions: chode

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tried Plastidip on wheels once. It looked like cheap crap. Also it is NOT easy to peel off. It took a couple weeks to get it off. I eventually bought some rustoleum in the same color and the wheels looked great.
I don't know how you can look at my wheels and say it looks like cheap crap. I've had nothing but compliments on them from Jeep club members. But, that was my results. As the commercial saying goes..."results may vary."

·
Registered
88 Posts
I plastidipped my daughter's wheels on her JK right after we bought it (they are XD Addicts w/ silver spokes). I applied at least 4 coats. Nearly a year later, in preparation of making it more permanent with Satin Black Rustoleum (7777), I peeled off the plastidip. I had no trouble removing it. Sadly, it turns out she likes the silver spokes and I have 5 cans of Satin Black in my garage. LOL!

To me, plastidip is a great way to try something different. Paint is more permanent - in my eyes anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to plastidip "practice" a little more and then I think I will give it a try on the wheels if it comes out good on my tests. I wouldn't mind painting them permanently, but if I can get them to look like Sneed's, I'd be happy and then could change it up down the road if I really wanted to. Ultimately, like everyone here it seems, I'll get rid of the stock wheels, but that's a ways down the road. Thanks for all of the opinions and pics! It really helped. Would love to see more great pics. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not the best with spraypaint, so I decided to go with plasti Dip instead. I was an absolute newbie, and learned a lesson with my first attempt: don't rush it! After learning that the hard way with paint, I switched to Plasti Dip and have had absolutely no issues with it. You need to take your time applying it, and allow it to properly dry before using whatever you sprayed, but it worked amazingly!

I sprayed my interior trim white, and the accent screws black - all with plasti dip, and it turned out beautifully. The only downside is if you make a fatal mistake (one that can't be solved with another layer) on the first few coats, you'll have to go through the entire painting process to apply the appropriate layers and allow for the right dry time before you can peel it off.

Although I love this stuff for smaller projects, I wouldn't plasti Dip my entire Jeep. It allows for change if you decide you don't like it or want something else, and you can peel it off to go back to stock if you ever have to sell.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I plasti dipped my rims and they've held up pretty well. But if you know there's not going back I'd just paint them.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts