Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have accumulated a full set of genright armor and will be ready to paint it iin the next couple of months. trying to deceide if I should have it painted or have it powdercoated. My powdercoater can get custom coatings matched to factory paint codes. Any thoughts on the pros and cons to one over the other.

... Powder coat will be cheaper I think cause you dont have to do body work or filler ? but paint will have a better gloss to it ? decesions decesions..

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I prefer powdercoat over paint on durability, when done right it is hard to chip or damage, but any paint can be scratched, we did several parts on my 86 lowrider and the swing arm on my polaris 500 scrambler, and is holding up just fine, but you must make sure the parts are clean and free of oil, even the oil from our skin can cause a blemish,

·
Registered
48 Posts
You said it is armor. Is this armor for the sake of armor? Or armor because you beat the crap out of the thing and it needs armor? If it's for looks then powder coat it. If it's because you actually use it, paint it and get a rattle can of the same color for touch ups. And as for the gloss finish you refer to, you can get powder coat in gloss finish as well as matte.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have your powder coater put a TGIC clear powder over the top. will shine as much as paint and if you want show quality then wet sand it and buff just like automotive paint. Of course ive been a powder coater for 10 yrs so I say powder coat it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts