Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this issue? First flake came off when spraying off bugs in the car wash. I have a spot off about the the size of a nickle on each fender.

Not sure if the dealer will fix it. If they do I'd rather they just replace with the plastic ones that are on the X and Rubicon. Probably cheaper than re-painting.

Ive searched around and can`t see that this is a common issue.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
It is the first one that I can recall seeing in this forum. I do like my unpainted fenders. Not a bad way to go.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
me too. I've never heard of this problem. you can sand them down. I think it's the same fender as the X and Rubicon, just painted.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'd check with dealership. Chrysler warranty for paint can't be out of warranty with your rig only being an 09.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check with the dealer when I bring it in for the transmission temp warning recall. I have had it since Feb 09 and haven`t had any other issues, never been back to the dealer yet. I am just thinking they`ll say it was stone chip damage and not cover it. I guess I`ll see.

I wish I had the plastic too. I like those aftermarket Bushwacker ones.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
me too. I've never heard of this problem. you can sand them down. I think it's the same fender as the X and Rubicon, just painted.
That`s a good idea. Probably why the paint doesn`t stick to them that well either. I`d think others would also have this problem though.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I would bring it back to dealer. At least maybe they'll repaint it for you, and then you can continue saving for black replacements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this issue too! I have a 2013 and bought it in Calgary too. Like you, the front silver bumper paint started flaking off while hosing off bug guts. The body paint has been chipping off *all* over the vehicle - such a huge disappointment since I'm so enthusiastic about Jeeps and have encouraged friends to buy them. Worst paint job of all time. So devastating. I've had cars for so much longer without this problem. Any advice?

Anyone else have this issue? First flake came off when spraying off bugs in the car wash. I have a spot off about the the size of a nickle on each fender.

Not sure if the dealer will fix it. If they do I'd rather they just replace with the plastic ones that are on the X and Rubicon. Probably cheaper than re-painting.

Ive searched around and can`t see that this is a common issue.

·
Registered
913 Posts
One of my bigger disappointments too. Had the Jeep just over 2 months and found a third chip in my paint over the weekend. I'm not real impressed so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fenders flaking..

I am having the same issue. The "fenders" all have a peeling/flaking taking place. This is not the paint. It is like a coating peeling off. (And just on the fenders.) This is not happening anywhere else on the jeep.. Very odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes 4 years into the ownership of my 2007 Wrangler sahara the paint was flaking in large amount on the front fenders. First I thought I had used the pressure washer too close until I discussed with other jeep owners having the same problem. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
i bought my 16 couple months with only 7500 miles.... got creamic coated to protect the paint and on the fender bend (in between the top tender and hood, were the fender bends inward to the hood) across that line i see dark under coat... going to take it to the dealership tomorrow or friday and see what they say... not sure if i should mention the ceramic coating or not. prob wont so they cant blame it on it
oh its firecracker red

·
Registered
459 Posts
the fenders aren't exactly the same. well, they are shaped exactly the same but the black ones have a textured finish and the painted ones are smooth ready to be painted.
So if you sanded them down they would be a smooth black and not the textured of the standard black ones.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Craigslist ALL DAY has fenders take off that are brand new, at least in my area, for next to nothing.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Craigslist ALL DAY has fenders take off that are brand new, at least in my area, for next to nothing.
You have to get lucky on CL. I tried to find non painted plastic fender take offs. People in central NC seem to think they are worth a lot.

I ended up buying a dorman replacement for about $50. Looks just like the factory one and fits fine.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Painted fenders look nice but that's about it. Stone chips and trail rash is all you get after an off-road adventure. Regular fenders are more durable but tend to fade in color thus the big $$$ fender aftermarket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts