Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Couple hundred bucks would be my guess. Probably anywhere from 300-700 depending on the amount of body work that needs to be done. Are you doing it yourself?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
depends on - if you are doing it yourself and how nice you want it..we do all the work including the painting ourself and for a 1 color paint job I spend around 300 bucks just for the paint

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Did mine with the help of a buddy.. i think I had 350 to 400 into it when all was said and done.. paint was around 100 for a gallon give or take. I used PPG shopline vs.the pro stuff paint that was 1200 for the paint alone in the color i wanted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wanting to get it all done by a professional and one solid black color. No body work needs to be done. I have no idea how I would do it myself so that's why I wanna get it professionally done and im gonna keep this jeep for as long as possible so I want it to be perfect!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I was wanting to get it all done by a professional and one solid black color. No body work needs to be done. I have no idea how I would do it myself so that's why I wanna get it professionally done and im gonna keep this jeep for as long as possible so I want it to be perfect!
glossy black is one of the hardest if not the hardest to get looking perfect..most any body especially a used one will have small imperfections that the gloss black will make stand out.mile deep gloss black is beautiful to me but be prepared to pay if you take it to someone that can actually make it perfect

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
What's the difference between the PPG shopline and the pro stuff?
shopline has the clear coat in it already.. its a one step process,which makes it cheaper. You don't have to paint then clear coat, saves time. But over time it will fade/not age as well as the higher end paint. For my trail rig,it was a good solution to get new color on it with out breaking the bank.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
it's what is called a single stage paint...if you want top of the line paint job,go with base coat / clear coat.if you want high gloss and that mile deep look then use a high solids clear..if you are having someone do the paint job for you that has the ability to give you that perfect paint job then they will already know what to use..if you start trying to use cheap paint then the finished product will reflect that

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I did mine in a flat black at home with basic (i.e. cheap Harbor Freight) sprayer and tools. The secret to getting it right is in the prep. Took me and my buddies several hours of sanding/cleaning, another hour to primer it and then another several coats of flat black over it. Cost about $200 in materials. I was getting quotes for the same thing done by the local paint shops of $1500-2000 depending on how much prep work I did before hand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Speaking of paint. My 93 is red.. and I swear i see more red jeeps than anything.. That is why I want to paint mine a different color. I cannot decide between 3.. Matte Black (very common), White (very common), or Gecko.. I am leaning toward Gecko, I got the paint code from the jeep dealership up the road. My only problem with that is, If I go with the Gecko, I'll probably have to have it professionally done wich is gonna cost me, and I can do the black or white in my garage for several hundred bucks cheaper.

How many coats of white would I need to cover the red? I'm thinking black would be easiest, but man do i love the new Gecko color..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if your current paint is good then priming is not necessary and even if you have a couple of bad spots you can just repair and prime them.2 or 3 good coats of any color paint will cover any other color.changing colors creates a lot more work because of having to paint all the interior also.to make any color flat,talc is added to the paint which makes the paint softer and easier to scratch..anyone looking for a super cheap,flat paint job can go to Agri Supply and buy flat black,green,tan or brown enamel for about 20 bucks a gallon.you can even use gasoline to reduce enamel to save a couple more bucks but be careful

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
I went to school for auto body, and worked at a shop for a while. I can tell you a shop is going to charge you a few thousand dollars to paint it. Go with a base clear, a single stage doesn't hold up very long (fades fast) . They will most likely primer the whole jeep due to the paints may not be compadable (paints will attack each other)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I went to school for auto body, and worked at a shop for a while. I can tell you a shop is going to charge you a few thousand dollars to paint it. Go with a base clear, a single stage doesn't hold up very long (fades fast) . They will most likely primer the whole jeep due to the paints may not be compadable (paints will attack each other)
if you have factory paint then it will be urethane.you can top coat it with other urethane or enamel with no problem but if for some reason you decide to use lacquer then you should prime it

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I have painted a couple hundred cars in my time, and if you were to drop it off and tell me to paint it gloss black, and make it look good? then you are looking at a price range of around 4-5000, and sometimes above that.

I have painted show cars and rat rods, as well as my stock car (which gets dented every saturday in the summer).

All in all, you get what you pay for, solid colors, black white red blue, will require an extra amount of body work in order to come out looking pristene. bodywork, primecoat, wetsanding, basecoat, more wetsanding, and then clear on the top.

1 man, without having to do much body work, start to finish, about a week working 8 hr days...I get 80/hr X that by 40 hrs....thats 3200 in just wages....and im not a professional bodyman.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am gonna paint it myself. Whatre some links to some nice primer, black pain, and clear coat?
there are many paint suppliers on ebay but I would advise finding a local paint supplier that will take the time to listen to what you are wanting to do and guide you..for instance,you can buy clear for 50 bucks a gallon that will give you a new car appearance or you can buy $80 a quart clear that will give you show quality depth and shine..a good supplier can direct you

·
Registered
541 Posts
I painted mine with Duplicolor perfect match universal flat black. I sanded down and just used the cheap primer. I put 2-3 coats on everything and it turned out great and has held up. We had one hell of a hail storm today and there is not a single chip or flake. I painted my rims with the rust oleum ultra flat, those too have held up excellently. I would estimate I spent around 120$ total on supplies and roughly 8 hours of work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts