Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go with some 6" fender flares to keep the mud on the outside of my Jeep. I have a 98 Sahara with painted flares and I like the look of the painted flares. Trying to do this without having to spend $500 for the more expensive ones. Problem is all the less expensive ones I see at Quadratech or Morris have the word "textured" in there description (Rugged Ridge for example). Has anyone tried painting the flairs with a texture ? Or do I need spend the money to do it right ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anything can be painted. Especially if they're already off the Jeep. If you don't have the know how any reputable shop should be able to help you out. Many sites also offer paint matching spray cans, just check your paint code on the door jam.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't want to make a new one. I would also like to get my stock ABS TJ fender flares painted to match my Jeep's paint. Can a shop really paint the stock textured ABS plastic ones to look just as good as the stock ones? Or is there a type of flare that Jeep offers specifically made to be painted?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can paint them yourself, all I did with mine was use 80 grit then 280 grit to remove the texture, then I scuffed them with a grey scuffing pad and hit them with primer, after the primer dried I sanded the orange peel off and the surface was perfectly smooth. If you go through motor supply they will run your vin number and mix up a perfect match for your paint and put it in an aerosol can. That particular one you do have to clear though so keep that in mind. After you clear you can wet sand with 800 and 2000 to smooth out the clear then hit it with some wax

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
You can paint them yourself, all I did with mine was use 80 grit then 280 grit to remove the texture, then I scuffed them with a grey scuffing pad and hit them with primer, after the primer dried I sanded the orange peel off and the surface was perfectly smooth. If you go through motor supply they will run your vin number and mix up a perfect match for your paint and put it in an aerosol can. That particular one you do have to clear though so keep that in mind. After you clear you can wet sand with 800 and 2000 to smooth out the clear then hit it with some wax
Ugh. So much wrong here. Never sand plastic with 80 grit, your never gonna get a perfect match out of a 1k aerosol can and you "NEVER" wax fresh paint.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never said to "wax fresh paint" you have to wait for the clear to cure before you can do anything with it and what's wrong with using 80 to remove the texture then switch to 240 to smooth them up? My flares turned out very good and using the vin check the paint it mixed very close to the original, close enough to do the flares and have them look like they're matched. Do you think body shops have a magical wand that makes their paint perfect? All they do is paint a complete panel or blend the old and the new so the difference in the paint is harder to pick up.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
I never said to "wax fresh paint" you have to wait for the clear to cure before you can do anything with it and what's wrong with using 80 to remove the texture then switch to 240 to smooth them up? My flares turned out very good and using the vin check the paint it mixed very close to the original, close enough to do the flares and have them look like they're matched. Do you think body shops have a magical wand that makes their paint perfect? All they do is paint a complete panel or blend the old and the new so the difference in the paint is harder to pick up.
Yeah they do, its called a trained eye for color matching. Ask me how i know! Never sand plastic with 80 grit as all it does is open the plastic up and the release agent comes to the surface. The finer the better. If you knew anything about paint you would know this. Dont try to tell me how a body shop works.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Is that so....

so keep that in mind. After you clear you can wet sand with 800 and 2000 to smooth out the clear then hit it with some wax

·
Registered
19 Posts
I painted my flares with a satin vineal paint. First I tried using a het gun to get rid of the oxidation but it wa to smudgy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Never sand plastic with 80 grit as all it does is open the plastic up and the release agent comes to the surface.
Is it really that bad to sand plastic with coarse sand paper? What are the side effects? I just did this to my center dash pannel. Haven't painted it yet, it's sitting in my room next to me right now.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
I think you're just a cranky person. It sounds like TJ Kid had some good results. So I'm not gonna worry about it.
Think so... No im not cranky im just tired of arm chair painters who think they know the proper way to paint/ prep something be it plastic, steel, aluminum etc. Ive got more hours behind a paint gun than you can even imagine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I took my flares off that I painted and replaced them with pocket style flares and I used a hammer to knock off my flare extension piece because the nutserts were spinning and even with the hammer the paint stayed in place and don't give me the chair painter shit because I worked in a body shop maybe one day you won't be such an ass wipe and people will listen to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sanded my flares down before I sprayed them with RO bedliner. That was a year ago......... No issues here. It still looks like the day I sprayed them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I suppose there are many different ways to paint flares, or anything.

I would suggest that the final result is up to the prep/painter and the desired results.

I just didn't like the grey color on my flares. I wanted black. And, I know how I scratch and scrape them often.
So,
I just got some krylon canned spray paint and painted them. No perp, no washing, bugs and all.
Sure the original results weren't what could be called a professional job. But I wasn't interested in a profession job.
But I just wanted a different color to the flares. Not a fancy paint job.
I knew they would get messed up again in my travels, but I wasn't worried about that.

Now,,today at least two years later,,They are scratched, and wracked by rocks and road bugs again.
But you know what? That paint stayed on just fine.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
I took my flares off that I painted and replaced them with pocket style flares and I used a hammer to knock off my flare extension piece because the nutserts were spinning and even with the hammer the paint stayed in place and don't give me the chair painter shit because I worked in a body shop maybe one day you won't be such an ass wipe and people will listen to you.
"Worked" musta been real good at it. How old are you??? i'll tell you what, there isnt a paint company around that will suggest sanding flares with 80 grit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Worked as in I chose a different career. And why would they? They don't give a shit, as long as they sell product they don't care. I'm sharing what I did and had good results. That's what this forum is about. The owners manual for your jeep doesn't suggest you to lift your jeep does it? A lot of people do it and are happy regardless of what other people say

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Worked as in I chose a different career. And why would they? They don't give a shit, as long as they sell product they don't care. I'm sharing what I did and had good results. That's what this forum is about. The owners manual for your jeep doesn't suggest you to lift your jeep does it? A lot of people do it and are happy regardless of what other people say
Bullshit... Of course they do. They have to warranty it. Sure your way may have worked but its not the right way. You chose a different career because you couldnt hack it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts