Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a project TJ and the previous owner rhino lined/spray painted pretty much every bolt on the truck. Any ideas on loosening bolts or getting paint out out of crevices? I’ve tried acetone, etc and have removed most of the paint but it’s still embedded and the bolts will not budge. Thank you in advance and sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I looked.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don’t know where you live, but here in the rust belt I try to spray penetrating fluid on bolts before attacking them. Sound like the paint isn’t letting you do anything to the bolt, it’s locked in place. I’d try to get a chisel or pick to break away the paint where the bolt meets the surface (frame or mount, etc.) and then go after it. Maybe someone else can chime in with a less “pain in the butt” method, but that would be my attack plan.

I’d probably pick a bolt and zip it off (or try to) with an impact gun. I would think the gun would break the “seal”. Strongly recommend a quality impact gun. Saved my ass too many times. I have a Milwaukee m18 fuel, in 1/2 and 3/8. The 1/2 is worth it’s weight in gold.

Edit: I just saw the pics you put up, those tend to be a pain even without the paint issue you have. The torx bolts are the devil. I’m still recommending impact gun as a best chance in my opinion.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
485 Posts
I recently purchased a project TJ and the previous owner rhino lined/spray painted pretty much every bolt on the truck. Any ideas on loosening bolts or getting paint out out of crevices? I’ve tried acetone, etc and have removed most of the paint but it’s still embedded and the bolts will not budge. Thank you in advance and sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I looked.
Grab a (disposable) Torx bit with a pair of vice grips, put it into the opening and 'tap' it with a hammer while trying to turn it with the vice-grips... Basically, you become a human impact wrench...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Put a torch on them. Get them good and hot. You'll need that heat to loosen thread lock and/or rust. They should come out very easily with the torx and regular socket wrench. Besides, the high heat should burn off any bed liner or paint.

People have gone right to impact wrench without torching the bolts. They often snap and are faced with drilling and tapping operation.

Reactions: Codyshoots

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think his problem is more the bedliner on the “head” vs the tightness of the bolt.
No real good option other than scraping the paint off.
Troy

Reactions: ThirdLifeCrisis

·
Registered
148 Posts
I doubt if if the Rhino liner that is holding the bolts in, it's a TJ and there rusted in, common for that old of vehicle. Like someone said, tap the bit into the bolt with a hammer and if you can't turn the bolt that way, use penetrating oil and if that don't work go with some heat. Usually when I find Rhino lining and other products used like that on older vehicles, etc., it a cover up for something worse.

·
Registered
327 Posts
All of these methods are right on point in my opinion and there are many ways to skin a cat but I think the main ingredient is always taking your time. I’ve snapped more bolts than Id like to admit. Usually I broke them from moving too fast by hand, or being way to aggressive with an impact.
Also as mentioned above heating the area/bolt in these situations can make the difference between a good day or a nightmare. You can’t really use penetration oil in your picture bolts too well, so heat is probably better or a combo of heat and oil. Tapping the torx bit into the head with a hammer firmly to be sure it’s seated is a good call too. Take your time!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Mine weren't rusted at all, but the thread lock the factory used had an iron grip. I could not budge them until I hit the heads with a torch and got them almost red. I was able to back them out one-handed with a small socket wrench. I could not believe how easy it was!

I had a narrow tip on the flame, and was able to get the head of the screws to start glowing and still not hurt the paint on the windshield hinges.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
219 Posts
Minitorch them. Small concentrated flame will burn off the paint on the bolt, but if you are quick enough, it won't but stuff around it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those are a pain in the ass without the added paint. You need one of those drive impact screwdriver things that you hit with a hammer as you turn it.

Or

Use a long breaker bar. Something like this;

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me I would try the torx bit with a rubber mallet. Just don't round off the head. That's when things really start to suck. If that didn't work I would go for my multi purpose oscillating tool with a a flexible scraper. Go around the outside of the bolt and scrape off the the material around the bolt and on
top so you can get a good bite with the bit. Going to have to do a bit of spray painting after the job is done but sometimes that is what it takes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts