Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First JK with painted flares and I learned my lesson. Put 4.5 BS wheels and 285/75/17 rubber on and noticed I have mutiple rock chips from first 700 miles of highway driving. Sprayed on some 3M clear paint protector so we will see if that helps.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's the one reason I wouldn't have painted flares. They look great when new, but take a lot of abuse. Even in a parking lot I'd rather have someone hit my black fenders over painted.

·
Registered
970 Posts
i have 4.75 backspace and 35s and only have one tiny ding from a rock on one rear fender in 4000 miles....i think the side steps protect them though

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Meh... its a jeep thing.
Wide aggressive tires throw rocks and road debris all over your jeep, might as well get used to it

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
3.75" backspacing with 35's and my rear flares look like they've been hit with #8 shot and/or used at a skeet range for targets.

Give no stihs either.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yep. Even the exposed door hinges on my JKUR are getting some chips from 285/70/17's on wheels with 5.25" BS.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
. We have 36K miles on a 13 JKU with 3.75 BS and 12.50 duratracs, and untill you get up real close and look for it the chips are hardly noticable on True Blue pearl. dark color helps allot but lots of dings for sure. I ice em and forget em.

The real issue is the tree scars on sides of front fenders...

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I've noticed this on my Hydro Blue JKU. Definitely more destructive since I switched to the SRC type sliders. I'm in the process of trying to design an insert that will both add to the aesthetics of the steps and provide some protection to deflect stones and debris away from the body. I'm thinking aluminum sheets perhaps painted to match the body. Ehh, it's still a work in progress...

·
Registered
53 Posts
3M clear coat

First JK with painted flares and I learned my lesson. Put 4.5 BS wheels and 285/75/17 rubber on and noticed I have mutiple rock chips from first 700 miles of highway driving. Sprayed on some 3M clear paint protector so we will see if that helps.
Did the spray on help? When I had my YJ I bought a 3M tape that was cut and shaped just for this......now I cant find for 2016.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts