Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that DIY, what did you use to paint the front grille? I looked at the Rustoleum truck bed liner, but it's rated for under 200 degrees. Not sure how hot the grille gets. Also, not interested in plastidip.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You should be fine the grill doesnt get hot .i just did mine to see how it looks .and i like it .(plastidip) if i decide to make it permanent i would use the rusto bedliner also

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
We used regular rustoleum spray paint, finished off with three coats of rustoleum car clear coat. It turned out great and matches out spiderweb shade. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used the Rustoleum bedliner. Looks awesome and cleans up well. Had to powerwash all the bugs and mud off the grille with no problems.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going with the rustoleum. Thanks for the input. Got a used grille off CL and will try it out. Hubby wasn't too keen on spraying the original grille.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good idea buying a used grille off of CL. That is exactly what we did. Bought a new, never installed, grille for $40 and used the bed liner to color it black and gutter screen for the inserts. The original flame red grille now hangs on my son's bedroom wall.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I've had mine on 2 years and its held u wonderful

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went the rustoleum route and I'm not too thrilled with the outcome. It's not as smooth as I'd like (not referring to texture). Some parts seem darker than others. I used a whole can and went over it several times to try to even it out. Glad I did it to a used grille bought off of CL and not the stock grille.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts