Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally installed my Or-Fab stubby bumper after waiting a month for it to be built. It came with the silver screw pin shackles but i would like red shackles to add a more sportier look. I bought some red isolators for protection but im having a hard time finding red shackles that are not at least $25 for one! does anyone know of a better deal. I found some great looking painted red shackles from a manufacturer named Crosby but would like a better price. Does anyone know of a better deal?

btw, i love my new stubby bumper. totally awesome!!

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I have been told by numerous people NOT to go cheap on shackles or D-Rings as they are also called. Reason being is that the cheaper ones are subpar quality metal and could essentially explode under major stress, ie. pulling someone out with them and a strap. I bought the Crosby D-Rings from Quadratec, they were 19.99 ea and have a red pin and silver shackle. Do a search for the thread "talk d-ring to me" there's some good info in it, and that's where I heard what I just told you about. By the way, Crosby is top quality, of rather spend a few extra $$ and know that if I ever need them, I won't have to worry.

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
wrangler101 said:
Very funny chim chim. Thanks for the info kolector. I will probably will order the crosby.
I got the same shackles with my stinger bumper from ORFab. I rattle canned them and the grade 8 bolts I upgraded to fit the bumper.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I have been told by numerous people NOT to go cheap on shackles or D-Rings as they are also called. Reason being is that the cheaper ones are subpar quality metal and could essentially explode under major stress, ie. pulling someone out with them and a strap.
True.
A bad shackle can kill somebody.

Proper shackles have their working load limit embossed on them.

Here are some good shackles:
Viking Offroad - Hardware

If you don't like the color, paint the dang things. Jeez.
But don't buy them because of the colors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the crosby screw pin shackles are great quality and they come in the red, which i want. I found them on midwest unlimited...i will get the same wll i have now which is 4 3/4 tons. Just thought 25 bucks a piece was pricey but u pay for what u get.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
i finally installed my Or-Fab stubby bumper after waiting a month for it to be built. It came with the silver screw pin shackles but i would like red shackles to add a more sportier look. I bought some red isolators for protection but im having a hard time finding red shackles that are not at least $25 for one! does anyone know of a better deal. I found some great looking painted red shackles from a manufacturer named Crosby but would like a better price. Does anyone know of a better deal?

btw, i love my new stubby bumper. totally awesome!!

I bought the Crosbys from Quadratec. They just threw them in a box with no padding. When they arrived, the box was full of red paint chips...not a alot of red left on the shackles. I had to re-paint them. The red Crosbys are just spray painted anyway. If your stock shackles are high quality, save yourself some money and just paint them...you'll end up doing that anyway. I also painted the isolators to match since the shades of red were so different.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Who cares what color they are? When they're sitting in a gear bag (like they should be) the color doesn't matter.
You can stick yours wherever you like. Mine belong on the bumpers. That's where they were for the past 10 years on my '03 Rubicon. That's where they should be. I don't want to have to go searching through a gear bag whenever they are needed.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
VanBeests are a good choice if Crosbys aren't available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts