Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to painting the old girl's shoes today. After seeing what they look like, I should have painted them black a long time ago. I just painted the fenders last week too. I have been neglecting her for a while so she needed a little love.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just did my wheels today. I think they turned out great. I will post a pic tomorrow. I used rustolium bed liner and just cleaned them before painting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments.

What did you use and how did you prep them?
My wheels are about 9 years old so the aluminum looked pretty bad. There were a bunch of brake dust spots and the polished look was all but gone. The materials I got for the job were as follows: 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, rustoleum self-etching primer, denatured alcohol, rustoleum spray on bedliner. I cleaned the wheels and took the sandpaper to them until they were free from spots and grime. Then I took the denatured alcohol and cleaned them thoroughly. Then I hit them with the primer. After the primer dried I hit them with a couple of coats of the bedliner. You could probably go with a litter heavier sand paper to scuff them up more. Maybe like a 320 or 220.

Leeroy, I just noticed the bezels after you mentioned it. Good thing I have some left over primer and bedliner. I'll probably paint those today. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

My wheels are about 9 years old so the aluminum looked pretty bad. There were a bunch of brake dust spots and the polished look was all but gone. The materials I got for the job were as follows: 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, rustoleum self-etching primer, denatured alcohol, rustoleum spray on bedliner. I cleaned the wheels and took the sandpaper to them until they were free from spots and grime. Then I took the denatured alcohol and cleaned them thoroughly. Then I hit them with the primer. After the primer dried I hit them with a couple of coats of the bedliner. You could probably go with a litter heavier sand paper to scuff them up more. Maybe like a 320 or 220.

Leeroy, I just noticed the bezels after you mentioned it. Good thing I have some left over primer and bedliner. I'll probably paint those today. Thanks.
Was the bedliner paint not bumpy? Why did you choose that over a flat paint? Does it need to be any type of special paint?

·
Registered
40 Posts
when applying the bed liner did you tape off the wheels, take of the tire or what was the procedure? also how many coats did you give it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just finished my factory wheels in rustolem bed liner and added some red as well. This is before, middle, and after pics.

image-1091396626.jpg

Before

image-375158377.jpg

Middle

image-3616540446.jpg

After

·
Registered
553 Posts
Zephyr1298 said:
Just finished my factory wheels in rustolem bed liner and added some red as well. This is before, middle, and after pics.

Before

Middle

After
Those look awesome. I think it would be cool if you got the jeep part in red as well, but that paint job looks professional. Good job

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
That does look great! I'm really considering doing my wheels now too. I like the look of the Eagle 028s a lot.. just don't like the satin steel finish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts