Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'97 TJ, 4L engine
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all - I have the stock aluminum wheels on my 97 TJ. OK, the tires aren't exactly whoppers but they work and I can't complain because they have about 70,000 miles on them. Anyway, the stock wheels have become pitted here and there and I'm really tired of looking at them. Being a firm believer in the Do-it-myself principle (plus always being broke) I want to paint these wheels. I think I'd like to go with black (my Wrangler is white). A couple of questions come to mind though. What are the pros/cons of gloss over flat or matte? Does anyone know of any special considerations when painting over the stock aluminum?

Any advice or suggestions will be welcome and I wouldn't mind hearing ideas for other colors or accents. I also have to agree with another member who posted that it is a pain in the butt to clean around the rivet heads (which are just for show) and add that cleaning inside the openings/holes in the wheels is even worse. The finish inside those holes is the rough "as-cast" kind and dirt sticks to it like glue, especially the disc brake dust from the front wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 TJ, 4L engine
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plasti-dip is a good temporary option. It fills in the imperfections and looks pretty good too. Check out http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/plasti-dippin-141181.html
Many Thanks! I checked it out and it looks like it would be the ticket. I was wondering what in the world Plasti-dip painting was. I thought it was just for dipping tool handles and stuff like that. I had no idea it comes in a spray can. I wish I'd posted this sooner - I spent about 2 hours browsing in Lowe's yesterday and could have looked for Plasti-dip! Even if I can't find spray I don't mind brushing the stuff on - lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know Home Depot has the spray if there is one close. Additionally, it's available on Amazon.com. Amazon.com: plasti dip

·
Registered
'97 TJ, 4L engine
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The closest Home Depot is right next door to Lowe's. Close competitors!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts