Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Been doing some research, and I've seen a couple of threads on here about painting your soft top. This is great news to me. I've got an 98 green TJ that came with a tan top. Not a huge fan of it, and had been pricing out some new black tops. The top is in pretty good shape, but it is missing some seams, and if it rains and the rain is blowing the wrong way, my driver seat will get soaked. However, the dealership I work at had a spare TJ top laying around which is grey and in much better shape.

Long story short, I'd like to paint the grey top black. I saw some people saying you needed to prep the top; is this just a matter of cleaning it gently with soap and water and letting it dry? How many coats generally do you do, and how long do you let it dry?

Also on an awesome note, the dealership also had a brand new set of Jeep alloy wheels and tires with 100% tread laying around, and they sold them to me for $200! :punk:

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
176 Posts
SEM Color Coat...I believe DupliColor has a version of it...but do a search for SEM online...I believe what will happen over time is that it will start to wear at any part that has abrasion - so any area that folds will probably show the original color through after some use...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean and dry. Might take 5-6 cans but any auto parts store carry Duplicolor. I did my safari top and no issues.

Has it begun to crack or show wear at all? How long ago did you do it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts