Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever had this Jeep last seemed to try painting them black. There all chrome so nothign stuck and don't think they preped well haha. So there hideous and I want them black. So thinking I take all of it off, i'll scuff them up real good and then Herculiner it with the bed liner stuff. Not the mounting surface but all around it. Good idea or no any input, caus this chrome junk just looks all sorts of.... um... not me to be nice

Are those allen heads gonna be fun to get off or what. Set nuts or how are the threads in there. Just to knw I dont break to much taking it apart.

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Scuffing well and self etching primer should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Are those allen heads gonna be fun to get off or what. Set nuts or how are the threads in there. Just to knw I dont break to much taking it apart.
They're Torx bolts, not allen heads.

My mirror brackets had some naaasty kind of aluminum corrosion going on when I bought my Jeep.
I popped them off, used a wire wheel to scuff them, clean them, then spray painted them, and they look great still, nearly 6 months later.
Prep well, primer, then use your preference of finishing choices.
If you Herculine them, make sure you cover the mounting surface well, as you mentioned. If you get any on that part, you can wipe it up quick while it's wet, or use steel wool, or a green scrubber pad to clean it off that part after it dries.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're Torx bolts, not allen heads.

My mirror brackets had some naaasty kind of aluminum corrosion going on when I bought my Jeep.
I popped them off, used a wire wheel to scuff them, clean them, then spray painted them, and they look great still, nearly 6 months later.
Prep well, primer, then use your preference of finishing choices.
If you Herculine them, make sure you cover the mounting surface well, as you mentioned. If you get any on that part, you can wipe it up quick while it's wet, or use steel wool, or a green scrubber pad to clean it off that part after it dries.

I am mechanicaly inclined, just so we all know and very much know the difference. Now your not the first person to say thats what there supposed to be, but nothing on this thing for allt he hindges are torx. All are allen heads which makes me think they changed all the hindges out. Possible do they make mexican chrome kits like that haha? Not to offend anyone but just sayin. They are all polished up so perhaps they are different what would a Sahara come with factory. Knowing many say TORX heads for the bolts perhaps its all wrong!

Little info there would help, do any companies make new kits I could use.

Thanks a ton all and keep it comin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts