Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a while ago seeing where someone had Plastidipped their front bumper to look like an American flag. His practical is this? Does anyone have a visual escape is this?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh geez. i meant grill

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's a free country and it's your Jeep but frankly it's disrespectful to display the flag in such a manner.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hmm? Why is this any different than rear window decals in pickups? Or the stars and stripes on construction helmets. the flag is represented on hundreds of things.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
It's not disrespectful at all. Pride and patriotism should be encouraged. I have an entire soapbox speech about this very thing, but I'll spare you. lol

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I do believe is was a wrap, not plastidip. I do not remember the name of the company that sold the wraps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's a free country and it's your Jeep but frankly it's disrespectful to display the flag in such a manner.
Perhaps the comment quoted above is intended to mean it's not an ideal location to put a depiction of a flag on a jeep grill because it will get all kinds of bug guts on it. I'm OK with that, but it's still not a violation of the US Flag Code. See exposition below.

Depictions of the flag are often confused with what a flag actually is. Most of these kinds of things are not flags, and are not considered replicas of a flag. A broad interpretation of the US Flag code does not consider depictions of flags to actually be flags, which is where some of this confusion comes from.

For instance, from the US Flag Code states, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." This means a flag should not be converted into use as apparel, but that does not mean that a shirt cannot be printed to depict a flag, because the shirt itself is not a flag. How else could a flag appear in a book without the book itself becoming a flag? That would be illogical and grossly impractical. Some may choose to argue this point ad nauseam, but it's fairly clear.

I do not believe that even a liberal interpretation of the US Flag Code can be construed to say that a decal wrap on a grill is actually a flag. Therefore, it is not a violation of the US Flag Code to display it as such. If you want to display that wrap on your grill, feel free to do so with a clear conscience, but be prepared for some heated discussions with some well-meaning but misinformed people. Treat these people with respect as many are veterans that have a heightened sense of patriotism, and understand the burden and cost of patriotism more than the average citizen. Give them the respect they deserve. Thank them and change the subject or exit the conversation.

And here's a flag proudly displayed, without violation of conscience or the US Flag Code.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Every one of the grills on our fire trucks is painted like an American flag. It looks awesome and as a marine vet I love it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Treat these people with respect as many are veterans that have a heightened sense of patriotism, and understand the burden and cost of patriotism more than the average citizen. Give them the respect they deserve. Thank them and change the subject or exit the conversation.
Guilty as charged. I am a 6 year Marine Corps infantry veteran who served and fought in 2 separate wars and I won't deny my heightened sense of patriotism.

Instead of seeming narrow minded, I'll say this: if I had a picture or an idea of what the OP intends to do with his portrayal of the flag on a grill or bumper I might be able to decide whether it's disrespectful.

As was stated above, the first vision that popped into my head was dead bug guts and road tar splattered all over the US flag and sorry that I cannot accept.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Guilty as charged. I am a 6 year Marine Corps infantry veteran who served and fought in 2 separate wars and I won't deny my heightened sense of patriotism.

Instead of seeming narrow minded, I'll say this: if I had a picture or an idea of what the OP intends to do with his portrayal of the flag on a grill or bumper I might be able to decide whether it's disrespectful.

As was stated above, the first vision that popped into my head was dead bug guts and road tar splattered all over the US flag and sorry that I cannot accept.
Thank you for your service to the country. I served six years in the Air Force myself. Still, we owe so much to Marines. We wouldn't have our freedom without Marine Corps.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also had the same mental image of bugs on the grill but if tastefully done and occasionally washed it would not bother me. Is our country so weak a few dead bugs on a flag image will hurt it?
I just read an article about a picture of a baby sleeping in a flag held like a hammock by a person in uniform. When I saw it I thought it was an awesome way to show how our military was keeping our families safe at home. There are a lot of people who took offense and think it was disrespectful.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion vet or not and this would be a boring place to live if we all agreed on everything.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I say go for it. Remember 9-11? There was a flag in every house and vehicle on the street for a year. Now it's like everyone has forgotten. By all means paint your grill. It may remind one person what the flag stands for. And I doubt very seriously that the grill painted like a flag will resemble Old Glory very much with the gaps in the grill anyway.

I see big rigs running down the interstate every day with American Flag overlays on the grill. Looks awesome!

·
Administrator
42,610 Posts
There have been some great feedback here and I'm sure the OP thanks you for your opinions. I'd also like to thank all the veteran for their service!

For me, it all comes down to tastefulness and respect. I understand what people mean about the bugs and road grime. It's the same as a sun-faded sticker in someone's rear window as far as I'm concerned.
I just hate it when someone slaps a flag sticker on their vehicle to say yay for some patriotic holiday and forgets about it. If someone's willing to show the colors with respect and will take care of it (cleaning bugs), I say go for it.

I wore a flag on the left sleeve of my Air Force flight suit for 26 years. I'm very proud of Old Glory and display of it doesn't need to be relegated to a flag pole. As I said before, as long as it is done with respect, I'm all for it.

By the way OP, I changed the thread title for you :thumb:

·
Registered
340 Posts

I think we're largely in agreement about respect, both to the flag and veterans.

My brother is an Army veteran (served in Iraq), and he will often tell a store that they are displaying the flag incorrectly, and offers to help correct the display. Most of the time, he's ignored or treated with an argumentative spirit, which makes him mad, and that makes me mad. I understand where you're coming from.

And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
There have been some great feedback here and I'm sure the OP thanks you for your opinions. I'd also like to thank all the veteran for their service!

For me, it all comes down to tastefulness and respect. I understand what people mean about the bugs and road grime. It's the same as a sun-faded sticker in someone's rear window as far as I'm concerned.
I just hate it when someone slaps a flag sticker on their vehicle to say yay for some patriotic holiday and forgets about it. If someone's willing to show the colors with respect and will take care of it (cleaning bugs), I say go for it.

I wore a flag on the left sleeve of my Air Force flight suit for 26 years. I'm very proud of Old Glory and display of it doesn't need to be relegated to a flag pole. As I said before, as long as it is done with respect, I'm all for it.

By the way OP, I changed the thread title for you :thumb:

And thank you for your service. In my opinion, you are a hero. I know this is starting to turn into a veteran love fest, but I'm proud of my service and extremely grateful for the service and sacrifice others have made.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
i agree with beastmaster and as long as your respectful go for it! i seen kidrock cut up a flag and wear it like a shirt and i have wanted to throat punch him ever since!

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is awesome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts