Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 JL and I hate the black plastic fender flares. Considering having them professionally painted white to match body. Anyone have experience with this or recommendations?
C90B04EE-2508-4E63-A84D-096D12268D48.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I think you will find the price is kinda high. How about considering aftermarket fender flares in a color you want? I have not shopped them lately but I am sure that would be a cheaper option. Truth is, I like the black fender flares but we all have our own needs for our Jeep. That is what makes a Jeep really special.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually prefer the black top/fenders on certain colors. Looks great on white. Not sure I would go to thew trouble to have the stock fenders painted. I would either go aftermarket, or maybe find some stock take-offs in your color. Lots of people upgrade to rock-crawling fenders and sell their OEM parts. There are also shops that specialize in customizing Jeeps that have OEM take-offs (hoods, fenders, etc.) for sale.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I have been looking for some white painted rears for my JK for some time now with no luck to replace my rock chipped ones. Thought of getting some factory paint spray cans and hitting the leading edge myself but don't want them to look worse than they do. I spoke with a shop about painting the black textured ones a while back and they shy away from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Black fenders look great with the white body. Leave them alone!

Reactions: gerriorc

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have been looking for some white painted rears for my JK for some time now with no luck to replace my rock chipped ones. Thought of getting some factory paint spray cans and hitting the leading edge myself but don't want them to look worse than they do. I spoke with a shop about painting the black textured ones a while back and they shy away from it.
When I ordered my 2020 JLUR i was considering the color top and fenders. The more I talked with folks about the painted top and fenders the more they told me about paint chips like you mention. A pure while Jeep (Yeti) is really cool looking but I am glad I do not have the painted top or fenders. You can scratch the crap out of these black ones and they will still look good with a bit of cleaning and Amor-All.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Yep, the raw black plastic is tough. 303 really keeps it nice. But here in So Cal a white painted roof is good for cool in the summer. White shows brush the least. I have a step at the slider that keeps small rocks off the rear fenders now so someday I'll clean them up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I ordered my 2020 JLUR i was considering the color top and fenders. The more I talked with folks about the painted top and fenders the more they told me about paint chips like you mention. A pure while Jeep (Yeti) is really cool looking but I am glad I do not have the painted top or fenders. You can scratch the crap out of these black ones and they will still look good with a bit of cleaning and Amor-All.
I honestly would have preferred the black top and fenders due to the potential for scratches, but I got a pretty good deal on my trade for my JLUR, so it was hard to pass up. I haven't had to deal with as many scratches as I thought I would with the painted fenders and top. I even stocked up on Mojito touch-up paint since they were phasing this color out. One (big) benefit is that the lighter-colored top does stay cooler in our TX summers.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Yup, that hard top comes off usually in May and stays off until usually Oct. The black hard top can be an oven. Hey Cyoung9799 be careful driving that Mojito Jeep near SLC Utah. My daughter loves that color and she might just steal it from you. I love it when I see an Orange Crush or Mojito coming down the road. The color I have not seen much here is the Sarge green.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Maybe a shop that does vinyl wrap on cars can give you an estimate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup, that hard top comes off usually in May and stays off until usually Oct. The black hard top can be an oven. Hey Cyoung9799 be careful driving that Mojito Jeep near SLC Utah. My daughter loves that color and she might just steal it from you. I love it when I see an Orange Crush or Mojito coming down the road. The color I have not seen much here is the Sarge green.
My daughter is constantly giving me grief about the Mojito, but her friends love it when I'm hauling them around. I keep telling her I'm getting older, and my vision is going, so I needed a color I could find easily in a parking lot (even at night, LOL). She has her eye on a Bikini color JLU. She keeps asking if we can go ahead and buy it for when she turns 16...........a year and a half from now. Future Jeeper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
^ Good decision. A friend had his fender flares painted body color by a body shop and the cost was crazy. The flares had absorbed dressing over time and had to be rough sanded, cleaned, repaired with plastic repair where over-sanded, then adhesion promoter applied, primed and then painted. By the time he was done he wished he hadn't even messed with them. He compared it to having 4 bumper covers repaired.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Good plan. There are many other things to spend time and money on. 303 will keep them looking shiny and new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts