Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently scored some bushwacker flat flares from a friend. The only problem is they are painted Sahara green. I need them to be black again. So, just rattle can some flat black over them or is there something different I can do to make them look normal again? Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ya just run down to Home Depot and its less then 6 bucks a can. Looks great durable, i use it a lot. It will give u like a semi gloss look

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I would go Rustoleum Bedliner from Walmart for $7.50 a can... its more durable when it come in contacts with anything.... trees, brush, etc... the Plasti-dip is AWESOME.. just not as durable from my personal experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want them to look like they regularly do. Is the rustolem Berliner in a can gonna give me the bed lined look? The only thing I'm worried about with these is the paint not sticking. They are textures already so I can't sand them to scrape them up any.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Not what you think... it's a small amount of texture.... here is a pic... sliders are done too....

·
Registered
122 Posts
The best thing u can do to make sure that it sticks on good is to scuff the surface then wash it down before U start spraying the bedliner

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
That looks good. You didn't have any adhesion problems?
No... not at all... I sanded with 220 wet.... wiped down completely with acetone and shot two coats... one can did all 4 flares. I have rubbed rocks and trees with no peeling or flaking... holding up good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So..... They turned out looking like crap. I sanded, put some alcohol on them and shot them with 2-3 coats and they are all uneven. So my question now is, when I was putting alcohol on them they got all gooey. I taped off an emblem and when I took the excess off, some green paint came off with the tape. If I alcohol them again and try to just take all the paint off, what are the chances of the alcohol eating the flare underneath?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Alcohol should not break down paint or plastic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Acetone and alcohol will eat off the old rattle-can paint (making a gooey mess in the process), but it wont do anything to the plastic of the flare. I would just use the acetone or alcohol to remove as much of the old paint as possible, sand it all smooth as possible, wash with soap and water, dry, they apply the bedliner paint. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Rattle can paint I can understand. I thought you were saying that factory paint same off just by rubbing a little alcohol on it. I have factory painted flares. One of which needs to be repainted. I know regular rattle can primer and paint is not the right thing to do, but at least it will look a little better if I can keep it from cracking when it flexes.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Sorry to hear they came out like crap.... got a pic? did you shoot too heavy? light and even coats is a must as it's not like any other rattle can.

Were the flares flares painted to begin with? I had original Rubicon Flares with the black satin finish... yes there was a layer of black paint on them...or a coating. I did the wet sand, wiped with acetone and shot 2 even coats.....

image-84726788.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've never heard of rubbing alchohol taking paint off or softening it up. In fact, usually you can use that to clean off fresh basecoat to prep for clearcoat....

Acetone I could see gumming up the paint....I would never use acetone on paint...be the same as using laquer thinner and that is what I use to clean paint from my guns...

I have come across a certain type of spray can primer that did soup up when I used my degreaser on it....can't recall what brand - was some type of 'sandable' cheap primer I bought at a hardware store in a bind....

You can wait till the paint hardens up and go from there....I like the rubberized undercoatings because they only have a little texture to them and usually they will stick to just about anything.

The only time you really need to use the alchohol and/or an adhesion promoter on your flares is if they are raw ABS. If they have been painted, you can scuff and go...providing of course they werer prepped properly before they were originally painted...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The flares were painted when I got them, they were green like Sahara but not necessarily Sahara green... I got acetone today. Haven't done anything with it yet but I'm gonna try to strip all the paint off and see if I can leave them unpainted. Doubt it, but maybe I can get all of it off and it actually looks good underneath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts