Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have looked hard and long on paining these things and can't find anything on a how to, just pictures of peoples painted and thats it, so was wondering for those of you that repainted or painted over their d ring shackles (more specific a black d ring shackle) what method did you use?

Only thing i can think of is to sand all the paint on it now off (i have the smittybuilt d rings in BLACK) prime and paint - but was sure if i could just paint over or just do a light sand to scruff it up and then just clean and paint with no primer - I want to paint them WHITE

Also for the mesh grill inserts for those that DIY inserts and painted them a color what prep did you do and/or what material mesh did you buy - those that bought a brand that painted theres what prep did you use swell

PS - i know this offers no bonus to my truck but cosmetic

Thank you
Dan

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are painting galvanized shackles first clean them well with soap and water then soak them in white vinegar for an hour or so. Next clean them with alcohol. Prime if you have it, if not Rustoleum works for me. You may have to redo at after use but no biggie.
They make paint to cover galvanized metal but I just used what was on my shelf.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are painting galvanized shackles first clean them well with soap and water then soak them in white vinegar for an hour or so. Next clean them with alcohol. Prime if you have it, if not Rustoleum works for me. You may have to redo at after use but no biggie.
They make paint to cover galvanized metal but I just used what was on my shelf.
mine are black, but that is just sanded off - but i guess ill use that method same as my bumper - never messed with PC before so wasn't sure if could just paint over it

How long does the primer usually take to dry on the shackles with the rustoleum, haven't used that brand

·
Registered
72 Posts
Scuff lightly and plastidip them. Then they are real easy to touch up and withstand bug hits waaay better. That's what I did.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I use self-etching primer, and then enamel....several coats of each. Seems to work okay, but I'll need to touch them up from time to time I am sure if I have to do a recovery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts