Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i asked in the main thread but i kind of need a special answer to this.

I painted my full door panels probably 6-9 months ago.. but it started flaking/peeling. My question is.. how do i go about repainting my door panels?
do i need to completely remove all existing paint? Also the paint scratches off easily even though i prepped it right.. i don't get it.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Preppin is what makes it last. Sand off all of the paint, then clean it really really good with acetone (or a similar product). Then proceed to priming several times if/as needed. Then several coats of automotive paint(not the acrylic version), then use clear coats or a sealer. Factor in the proper temp/humidity for curing the paint. You do that, in that order and I bet ya it will last atleast a few years easy if not more.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ok easy fix that me an my buddy did with his Jeep that had a similar problem but his paint was the factory paint peeling and flaking off.

What we did was use a fine grit sand paper ( or you can get a brillow pad, the green thing on sponge) and ran it over the door panel to remove any loose pieces of paint. Once we got it all flake free, which took a while because it was bad, we took the door off the jeep and taped off all the stuff that we didnt want to go over. Once we did that we used Plasti Dip to go over the door panel. It was only about $7 at our local Lowes and we used 4 cans on both doors (about 2 per door) and did 4 coats of Plasti Dip on each door. We did one coat and then waited about 45 min to an hour between coats, which takes a while but it is important to make sure that the plastic bonds well between coats. Once you get your desired look (anywhere from 3-5 coats) you are good to go.

Not sure what kind of finish you have on your jeep currently but the black Plasti Dip is a great way to go I believe and it is a very very cheap fix. It is durable in all kinds of weather, from snow to the sea salt at the beaches. Also once you get it on and you decide you dont like it any more you can just peel it off, yes that right just pull up a corner of the plasti dip and peel it off, it comes off so easy when you need it to, but when you need it to hold up to conditions it is my number one thing. I have plastidipped my Hi-Lift Jack also and it still works great and looks great still after numerous uses.

Hope this is what you were looking for in a reply, but if you are trying to go back to the factory paint color or something like that, the best way is to take it to a auto collision shop.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've read numerous accounts though that plasti dip can over time, and especially if the OP takes it off road, that it will peel and you have to be on the lookout everytime you take the Jeep off pavement. And I quote from a local auto shop that specializes in Plasti Dip: " Do understand, if the vehicle is taken into considerably "rough" conditions, the Plasti Dip may tear or peel in the process. So if you take your vehicle off-roading, or trailing, and you happen to brush up against something unintentionally, the Plasti Dip may tear or scratch."

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If you are referring to the inner plastic panels, you will have to sand the old paint completely off and make sure to rough up the surface really well before primer. There has to be zero shine on the plastic surface and go with rattlecan Adhesion promoter primer sold at auto parts store. Then apply with vinyl/plastic paint. I would avoid plastidip for any areas that gets used often. Plastidip once scratched will sometimes curl up and difficult to touchup.

·
Registered
268 Posts
maybe im wrong but i think he is talking about the inside of the door.. not the out side...

in any event i cant help tho

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys! I'm going to grab some fine grit sandpaper/brillo pads now. Also i didn't know they made a primer/adhesion promoter so ill give that a shot too!

And yeah i was talking about the interior haha, i painted the outside of my doors with rustoleuom and hours of wet sanding.. they came out pretty nice and haven't had flaking for 2+ years so far!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thank you guys! I'm going to grab some fine grit sandpaper/brillo pads now. Also i didn't know they made a primer/adhesion promoter so ill give that a shot too!

And yeah i was talking about the interior haha, i painted the outside of my doors with rustoleuom and hours of wet sanding.. they came out pretty nice and haven't had flaking for 2+ years so far!
Post before and afters pics of the inside door liners if ya can.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post before and afters pics of the inside door liners if ya can.
Ill post pics tomorrow, as of right now they're black/chipping/tan.
Just bought some krylon fusion/scotch brite pads/adhesion promoter.

After i scotch brite the doors.. should i go over it with mineral spirits?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Ill post pics tomorrow, as of right now they're black/chipping/tan.
Just bought some krylon fusion/scotch brite pads/adhesion promoter.

After i scotch brite the doors.. should i go over it with mineral spirits?
The advice I provided above was for metal automotive surfaces. Not sure using mineral spirits on plastic/vinyl surfaces is a good idea. That I would be weary of doing, I'd do more research before goin' further.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
The advice I provided above was for metal automotive surfaces. Not sure using mineral spirits on plastic/vinyl surfaces is a good idea. That I would be weary of doing, I'd do more research before goin' further.
Mineral spirits are oil based, nonono.
Oil + paint bad juju. Use denatured alcohol to clean plastics with

1 - 15 of 15 Posts