Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their exhaust muffler black? I have seen numerous jeeps that have surface rust on their mufflers that is very noticeable from the back. I believe I have seen some posts on people painting it black with some sort of high temp spray, and I imagine it would look nice and clean if sprayed black.

Also with winter approaching, does anyone spray coat their jeeps undercarriage with anything that will protect it from all the salt on the road? Again I have seen posts on this but can't seem to find them right now. Maybe because I'm on my phone..

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Spay can of black BBQ paint does the job. I painted the muffler on my 07 Miata . It worked great. I think I got it Home depot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks, I will see if I can pick some up at home depot

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah rustoleum bbq paint is what i used on my wrangler, 6 bucks and your all set.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you suggest covering anything up first or just close your eyes and spray.
Assuming that you are under the jeep while doing this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Initially I tried BBQ paint on mine, but found that after a few months it was coming off plus it became dirty and wouldn't clean up. I then purchased some gloss black engine enamel paint rated at like 1500°, removed the muffler (very easy to do), scuffed it up, hung it and painted it. More involved but the finish has lasted considerably better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi temp bbq paint. Wipe that ugly ass muffler down and let the paint fly. Looks so much better. It used to drive me crazy lookin at that thing. Now its like it is not even there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to Home Depot today. I didn't see any specific grill spray but this stuff looks like it will be fine. They had another engine spray that was rated at 500 degrees but it had a more gloss finish. I prefer a matte black finish to keep the attention away from the exhaust and just black it out.

I think I will try to scuff the muffler up a bit with some finer grit sand paper so the spray takes to it better. I will post pics of when I get it done maybe tomorrow if its nice out.

Here's the spray:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Painted mine yesterday. It was surprisingly clean so I just wiped it with alcohol and sprayed flat black 1600º paint I got at Auto Zone.

The 2nd coat was still wet so it doesn't appear as flat as when it dried but I rushed the pic cause I was losing light.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOWLYF said:
Painted mine yesterday. It was surprisingly clean so I just wiped it with alcohol and sprayed flat black 1600º paint I got at Auto Zone.

The 2nd coat was still wet so it doesn't appear as flat as when it dried but I rushed the pic cause I was losing light.
Wow, looks a million times better. Nicely done. So you just cleaned the surface? Did you rough it up at all?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, looks a million times better. Nicely done. So you just cleaned the surface? Did you rough it up at all?

Just cleaned it with alcohol and a rag. No sanding. The Jeep is pretty new so the muffler is too. Since I just did it yesterday I obviously can't tell you how it holds up in time. It's only a $7 mod so if the paint peels then I'll just sand and repaint.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That looks great LOWLYF!

I just added some high temp flat paint to my HD shopping list for today. Did you just tape some paper to protect the surrounding areas and spray away?

Thanks!
I planned to tape some items but with the light wind conditions I opted to just spray and pray. I went slow and it ended up being a very clean job with no overspray on anything. If I were to do it again I'd probably at least hang a rag over the shocks to be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I painted my exhaust with VHT header paint. Love the matte finish and it has ceramic in it which is supposed to make it durable. Seems to be holding up pretty well. Looks 100% better.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What about the frame? I've tried the rustoleum exterior paint and it was decent but started to chip off pretty bad within a year. What does everyone else use? And can i just spray it over existing rust? The coil housings and certain parts of the frame are too hard to try and sand/treat rusted areas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What about the frame? I've tried the rustoleum exterior paint and it was decent but started to chip off pretty bad within a year. What does everyone else use? And can i just spray it over existing rust? The coil housings and certain parts of the frame are too hard to try and sand/treat rusted areas.
POR 15 is supposed to be great over rust. I sprayed my whole undercarriage with Eureka Fluid Film.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts