Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...this was one of my 3 Jeep projects today (KC H4 headlights and locking hood latches were the other 2).

This is by far the easiest, most bang for the buck, best looking mod I've done to date. I can't believe how well these things look now.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did the same thing to mine back in October. They held up for a little over a month and started to flake off. I had major issues when I would put gas in it and it would drip a little on the fender when I pulled the nozzle out. I was SUPER happy when I painted them and then SUPER angry when they flaked. Just bought all new fenders and put them on last weekend. 4 fenders for $89 was the best price I had seen!

What paint did you use? I used Duplicolor bumper paint which I have used on my Mustang in the past and NEVER had issues until the Jeep fenders. I am guessing the texture got air pockets that cause them to flake.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Krylon fusion....some guys have reported good results with it....we shall see

·
Registered
613 Posts
jrobinson1988 said:
Did you do all four flares? If so how many cans of the Krylon did you use?
I did. U dnt really use tht much. 1 cans good. For me atleast it was

·
Registered
613 Posts
jrobinson1988 said:
Did you do all four flares? If so how many cans of the Krylon did you use?
Good investment

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used one full can...never opened the second one. I guess I could have waited and put another coat on...but by the time I thought about that I had un-done all of my masking.

Also FYI....I found this idea somewhere on here and it is genius. Buy 2 decks of cheap game cards at Wal-Mart. You can slide these between the fender and the flare and then use newspaper to cover the rest of the body. Very easy..works well and you can probably mask off all 4 flares before you can get 1 of them off. Good luck..I finished mine today and am thrilled with how it looks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used Krylon Fusion satin by the way.

·
Registered
412 Posts
does anyone scuff up the flare with sand paper or scotch brite pad? or do you just put the paint right to them? the po painted mine but they need to be done again.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Badass_TJ said:
does anyone scuff up the flare with sand paper or scotch brite pad? or do you just put the paint right to them? the po painted mine but they need to be done again.
I scuffed mine with fine sand paper then I wiped them with mineral spirits. I put a lot of coats on mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just cleaned with soap/water...dried..then cleaned with Windex (Krylon says use ammonia based cleaner)...didn't scuff it up. Hopefully will last...looks fantastic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm thinking about using either the glossy finish by Krylon, and I also kinda liked the "Hammered finish" by Rustoleum...Anyone have any no'no's for using those? I just kinda want to bring more attention to the flares than just satin.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts