Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the grill a gun metal grey on my white '13 Sahara. Trying to get an "Oscar Mike" look.

Any suggestions on prepping or type of paint? Thx!!!!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Gun metal grey plastidip? Maybe some plastidip metalizer, if you like that finish?

At least that way you could try it and see how you like it, but not mess up your grill if you find you DON'T like it.

I love my mineral grey grill. I wasn't sure if I would at first, but as soon as I picked it up I knew it was right for my jeep. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
x2 on the plasti-dip.

But if you are intent on going with a permanent solution, you might even be able to find someone that is willing to trade straight up for your grill. It would be worth a shot to ask around.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought a cheap knockoff grill on ebay($120), because I wanted to keep my factory grill intact. It already had a primed surface(black). I painted it with black Rust-oleum bedliner. I love the look and it matches the fenders' texture.
I thought about Plastidip but decided against it, it wouldn't hold up to trail brush around here.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Use the "Metallic Anthracite" Plastidip. I used it on my mesh grill screen, Jeep emblem and trail rated badge. I think it looks great!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I want to paint the grill a gun metal grey on my white '13 Sahara. Trying to get an "Oscar Mike" look.

Any suggestions on prepping or type of paint? Thx!!!!
If your going to paint:

1. Scuff the clear with 600 sand paper...I wet sanded. You dont have to get to crazy just take the shine off.

2. Clean with wax/grease remover

3. Paint

4. Clear

I guess you could use rattle can paint you dont have to clear. Might be tricky fininding that color.

If you want to do it the right way buy some paint and clear and have the means to shoot it. Shooting clear can be tricky if you have never done it and I wouldnt suggest learning on your Jeep.

It probably wouldnt cost much to have a shop do it...they can get the color code of the paint that chrysler used tho and get the look you want.

I would be surprised if a body shop charged more than $200. You just have to weigh the time/cost/potential goof/ for you to do it vs a shop I guess.

The best part is the prep is easy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great ideas. The color doesn't have to be exactly Oscar Mike.

I did find an OE take-off on eBay in billet that may work out.

Or may try plasti dip to see how it looks

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I personally am not a fan of the plasti dip. i tried several times, and always had some sort of imperfection on it. true its not permanent and can just be peeled off in about 15 mins or so, but still...

If you want it to look right, do it the right way the first time. get a used grill and have it painted professionally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great ideas. The color doesn't have to be exactly Oscar Mike.

I did find an OE take-off on eBay in billet that may work out.

Or may try plasti dip to see how it looks
I put a Black take off grill from a Jeep dealership on my 2013 Billet Silver JKU. I am doing spring cleaning if you want to PM me.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I just got quoted $200 from a collision repair shop to paint my grille, hinges, part of my rims, and recovery hooks gecko green. If you want a different color I would try that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got quoted $200 from a collision repair shop to paint my grille, hinges, part of my rims, and recovery hooks gecko green. If you want a different color I would try that.
I've been thinking about doing some of these things especially the the recovery hooks! Pics when you're done?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great ideas. The color doesn't have to be exactly Oscar Mike. I did find an OE take-off on eBay in billet that may work out. Or may try plasti dip to see how it looks
I have the same thoughts and concerns with plasti dip as fdisker. I was planning on trying an aftermarket or ebay grill and running bedliner over it.

You might also try one of these $79: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2014/jeep/wrangler/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/grille_assembly.html

Or, Ebay generally has grills for about $120.

Either are cheap enough to try different plasti dips/paints on without worrying about messing up your factory original.

Also, Rustoleum has a bunch of high quality hammered metallic grey/black paints that might actually be a real close match to the gunmetal look you are going for.

Does anyone know the actual OM mopar grill part? Is the Jeep logo different as well? I've never seen one in person.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got this billet silver grille from a WF member. Really like it, and going to put on black turn signal bezels and Jeep logo on tomorrow - losing daylight here in Philly.

Feedback?

Also used the distressed star decal to break up all the white.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got this billet silver grille from a WF member. Really like it, and going to put on black turn signal bezels and Jeep logo on tomorrow - losing daylight here in Philly. Feedback? Also used the distressed star decal to break up all the white.
Wow that looks awesome! First time I've seen something other than the black grill on a white jeep. Sharp!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Looks good! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I personally am not a fan of the plasti dip. i tried several times, and always had some sort of imperfection on it. true its not permanent and can just be peeled off in about 15 mins or so, but still...

If you want it to look right, do it the right way the first time. get a used grill and have it painted professionally.
Even if you had it painted professionally, it would get beat to hell with rockchips pretty quickly, While it may look better than plastidip initially, after 2000 miles, there won't be a comparison IMHO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts